Castrol Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
To heck with it. 0w40 is considered the best d.i. turbo oil, thats what I'm using. Too many good uoa's on the Hyundai, KIA, Audi, VW etc Forums to ignore this viscosity in M1 and Castrol iterations. I'm done experimenting. 1 1/2 years is enough.

I agree that the Edge 0W-40 is a good oil, but so is Mobil 1's 0W-40 which has more certifications and a ton of excellent UOA's.

The toughest certifications are met by both... I'm comfortable with either.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I think Castrol is hugely underrated on this forum and I think your two current oil choices sound perfect.

grin.gif
Agreed / Thanks

Last edited:
I'm happy for you that you finally made a decision but at a loss as to why anyone would support BP; especially someone living in Florida.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
but at a loss as to why anyone would support BP;

Why not also stick it to him for buying Japanese/Korean vehicles instead of American, while you're at it?
smirk.gif

I could have but:

1) He already has the car.
2) I kept it oil related.
3) If I poured my waste oil in your pool, you wouldn't care what vehicle I used to drive to your home.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why not also stick it to him for buying Japanese/Korean vehicles instead of American, while you're at it?

Not only that, it was bought in Walmart and the jug was rubbing elbows with Maxlife. After which... I filled my tank with XOM gas before helping my buddy change oil in his VW Beetle.
32.gif

I love Castrol and thus love supporting BP. Edge OW40 on deck once my stash of GC is gone. Frankly I believe BP owned up to their mistakes and overall handled the Deepwater Horizon spill well....granted many people are still suffering and the impact of the spill is still yet to be determined.

Oil Changer, no matter how much disdain you ooze at times (could also be seen as passionate convictions), I think you're good people at heart.
blush.gif

Thank you. Best of luck with your choice and be sure to do an UOA. I'm happy I went with 0W-40 in my XX-30 application. I will do an UOA when I do my late fall oil change.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Oil Changer, no matter how much disdain you ooze at times (could also be seen as passionate convictions), I think you're good people at heart.
blush.gif

I actually haven't bought Castrol in over a year because of feelings about the Deepwater Horizon spill after I watched two in-depth documentaries about it and learned more. However, I feel that the fines sanctioned against BP ranging in the billions of dollars far outweigh anything we could ever do as consumers. I have had excellent results with GTX and think it's a fantastic product. Frankly, I will be buying a jug of GTX today and basically nothing will change except I'll have the oil I like. BP stock won't jump due to my purchase. Life, both human and animal, that was and is affected by the spill won't change.

What happened has happened, and it's a terrible, terrible thing. But Shell and Exxon (the two forum superstars) are far from innocent themselves and I always find it hypocritical when a loyal PP or M1 buyer criticizes a Castrol fan for their choices.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Has anybody seen a UOA on Castrol Edge 0W40? I find plenty of Mobil 0W40, and some others, but no Castrol Edge.

+ 1

Great UOA's are a wonderful tool but the fact that it has the certification approvals it does is enough for me in this case.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Great UOA's are a wonderful tool but the fact that it has the certification approvals it does is enough for me in this case.

I agree wemay. Eveeybody's engine is different anyway. Frankly I don't see how one can put tons of faith into other people's UOAs. I don't think that proves anything. With certs, you can hold an oil to an exact quality standard that is known.

Has anyone else noticed that the Castrol Edge 0w-40 is imported from Germany? It looks like we can't say 'GC' and understand it as the 0w-30 flavor anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back