Don Garlits chasing 200MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just sounds wrong, I miss the exhaust sound. If it can be done Garlits can do it, he brought many improvements to drag racing.

If you're ever down in the vicinity of Ocala, Florida, go to the Garlits Museum. There's a lot of great stuff to see there.

About 15 years ago, I went to his museum as a school project with a bunch of students. He spoke to the group. Lets just say the guy has hit his head a few too many times and sniffed way too much nitro. He is nuttier than a nut factory. Kept talking about Alien invasions and govt conspiracies. And he was serious.

No doubt about it, the guy IS the father of drag racing. He invented/perfected the rear engine dragster after being almost burned to death in a front engine top fuel car.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you're ever down in the vicinity of Ocala, Florida, go to the Garlits Museum. There's a lot of great stuff to see there.

I have been there twice and it is well worth the time and money. There's a lot more to the place than just drag racing stuff.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
About 15 years ago, I went to his museum as a school project with a bunch of students. He spoke to the group. Lets just say the guy has hit his head a few too many times and sniffed way too much nitro. He is nuttier than a nut factory. Kept talking about Alien invasions and govt conspiracies. And he was serious.

No doubt about it, the guy IS the father of drag racing. He invented/perfected the rear engine dragster after being almost burned to death in a front engine top fuel car.

I met Don Garlits briefly at the PRI show in Indianapolis in 2000 (or somewhere thereabouts). I was manning our booth at the show where we were displaying a marine V12 engine. Don stopped in and asked me some questions about it. We had a nice conversation, motorhead to motorhead, for a few minutes. I thought he was a pretty down-to-earth guy.

Garlits invented the rear-engine dragster after part of one of his feet was severed by a clutch explosion in a front engine dragster in 1970. He wasn't seriously burned. He has a display covering that incident at the museum.

Given the torque delivery of an electric motor from rest, I hope his head is firmly attached to his neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back