Post your latest oil change

2010 Mazda 6;

-Dealer Bulk 5w20
-Mazda OE Filter

27,504 miles. Dealer offered free oil change and rotation when I took it in for the spider recall. I hate letting others change the oil, but too hard to pass up free!

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
- Valvoline Maxlife 10W30 5qt jug from Walmart
- Mopar M0-090 Filter
Going on a 6 month oil change interval, I drive it mostly on short trips to school and work. About 142k Miles

Mom's 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6

Out: Valvoline SynPower 5w-30, OE filter, about 2500 miles.

In: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30, OE Filter

All good to go for another 3,000 miles.

Untitled by thecritic89, on Flickr

2009 Honda Civic DX-G auto
48078km ODO, 5938km/6.5months service. 4 x 2km trips/day 5days/week, 2 x 20km trips / week, + everything in between and beyond.

30% OLM
Out QSUD 5w20
In QSUD 5w20, reuse PSL14610

I should have taken a pic like The Critic. That would just look neat under every post.

But, on the subject at hand, here, I just changed my grandmother's oil in her 2000 Buick Park Avenue 3800II with 88,800 miles on the vehicle/engine. Talk about a well maintained vehicle that is easily driven and sleeps in a climate controlled basement/garage that is part of her house... this car has the life.

She doesn't, and I'm not going to push anything on her, but she doesn't necessarily know that oil lasts 3x as long as back in her day, she is 92 years old, btw, so she gets antsy about an oil change around 3000 miles, or from what I've seen, about 72% on the OLM. It's been using Pennzoil Platinum. Even with those light intervals on conventional Castrol GTX 5W/10W-30 for the first part of its life, it somehow gained a valve cover leak. Oil problem or manufacturer problem, I don't know. But it's on the front valve cover on the intake side.

So, that's why I ended up using synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, in her car a few years ago.

I realize most people are going to [censored] bricks at the 3000 mile synthetic oil changes, but I don't want to use conventional in that car anymore, and she doesn't want to see 6k-8k OCI's. So I will just do whatever causes the least stress for her lol.

Forgot to add the filter, so in short:

2000 Buick Park Avenue with 88,800 miles

Out: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with AC Delco PF47 oil filter @ 3,200 miles
In: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with AC Delco PF47E oil filter

2007 FJ cruiser. 62k miles.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
PureOne filter
Thing loves this oil. I change 5k-7k depending on what I've been doing.

2008 Saturn Astra 1.8L 5sp. manual:
Out: Whatever the dealer had in there (probably Mobil 5000 5W-30)

In: Mobil 1 10W-30 SM (4 qts.) and .75 qt. of M1 0W-40
Purolater catridge filter

2006 Ford Taurus 3.0L Vulcan
Out: QSUD 0W-20

In: MaxLife 5W-30 and a left over qt. of 5W-30 QSUD
Motorcraft filter

2004 Lincoln Town Car. 87,148 miles. (3) qts. Mobil-1, 0-20, (3) qts. Mobil-1, 5-30. Motorcraft 820S filter.

1996 Lexus LS400 (1UZFE 4.0L V8) ~150K miles?
Out: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 + K&N white filter
In: QSUD 5W-30 + Purolator PureONE

2007 Acura TL Type-S (J35A8 3.5L V6)
Out: Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 + Purolator PureONE
OCI: 6000 mi.
In: Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 (Can't get Ultra/Ultra Platinum ANYWHERE right now) + Purolator PureONE

Valve cover gasket leaks are common on those 3800's. GM even issued a recall years ago about oil leaking on the plug wires and catching fire. It's a part problem, not an oil problem. The recall has passed so all you can do is either keep the oil topped off or fix it. It isn't a terrible job to do, just time consuming, especially on the rear valve cover. Those 3800's are great engines, and will run on just about any decent 30 grade, dino or synthetic. Rest assured the dino oil did not cause the leak though, and in all reality Pennzoil Platinum is way to good to be swapped at 3k in a 3800. A conventional would easily do 5k in one of them. Your call though. Perhaps you could send me the used Platinum for my lawn mowers.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
Valve cover gasket leaks are common on those 3800's. GM even issued a recall years ago about oil leaking on the plug wires and catching fire. It's a part problem, not an oil problem. The recall has passed so all you can do is either keep the oil topped off or fix it. It isn't a terrible job to do, just time consuming, especially on the rear valve cover. Those 3800's are great engines, and will run on just about any decent 30 grade, dino or synthetic. Rest assured the dino oil did not cause the leak though, and in all reality Pennzoil Platinum is way to good to be swapped at 3k in a 3800. A conventional would easily do 5k in one of them. Your call though. Perhaps you could send me the used Platinum for my lawn mowers.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot for that information. Good to know the oil didn't cause gasket damage. It had a life of Castrol GTX 10W-30 (oil lid says 10W-30 lol) before switching to the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. It's the front valve cover, luckily, and doesn't look like a hard job at all, I agree. Also, I agree about the PP being too good to drain at 3k, I will try and talk her into going further, at least 5k minimum. She definitely won't understand anything I explain, not making fun, but at 92 years of age, her body has out lasted her mind in more ways than one. Honestly, I've been staying with her for the last 3 years taking care of her. I think it's going to make my hair turn gray at almost 29 years of age lol.

"IF" the OLM works in a linear fashion, I should be able to get right at 10,000 miles according to it.

Also, this car gets exceptional fuel mileage. I have read lots about people saying the MPG algorithm isn't accurate, but either way, from 45-60mph I can get anywhere from 32mpg minimum to 38mpg after 20 minutes of riding *according to the digital read-out*. Depends which way I'm going, hill-wise. And looking through the oil fill hole, the engine looks absolutely spotless.

I believe I will order a gasket and fix that for her. I will take pictures.

2004 Ford E150, 181k, 6k 7 months on oil.
Out: 2qts QSUD 10w30, 4 qts PP 5w20 plus one qt of make up oil PP 5w20 the 4k mark. STP filter

In: 2qts of Havoline HM 10w30 and 4 qts of Havoline synthetic 5w20. Motorcraft filter.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2.2 this combo was run till the OLM was at 33% and 5500 miles.

Out: Formula Shell Synthetic 5w30 and Purolator Classic L16436.

In: QSUD 5w30 and Fram CH9018.

Also replaced the stock drain plug with a new one because advance auto did not have the correct washer to seal the old drain plug. As a plus the new drain plug is magnetic.

2001 sierra c3.

I changed the oil 40 running hours ago using a 50/50 mid of Castrol 0w-40 and either pp or PU 5w-20 because I wasn't spending any more money on oil until I've used up some of my vast stockpile.

I checked the oil today and it wasn't dark brown,it was blacker than black and I felt that I should change it simply because I want to get an idea just how much the engine has as far as deposits are concerned.
So I drained it and added a 50/50 mix of Castrol 0w-40 and pp 5w-20.

I'm going to monitor this sump load very closely. Since I got the truck highway mileage was a dismal 14mpg. Now after a few top end soaks and a couple tanks of extremely overdosing a pea additive the truck is much more responsive and I've gone from 14mpg on my daily commute to 16mpg.
I set cruise at 60mph and roll. I have discovered the truck is harder on fuel at a cruise speed of 50mph than when set at 60mph. Possibly because the rpm are a bit higher making more torque thereby requiring less fueling to maintain speed on the slight inclines in the road.

Surprisingly this truck is now getting better mileage than my 99 with a 5.3 did when stock.
Thus far I'm happy with it.

'09 Hyundai Accent SE 65k, 5k OCI
Out: QS Defy 5w30 w/8oz LG BioTech / OEM filter
In: QS Defy - 2.25 qt 5w30, 1 qt 10w30 / 8oz LG BioTech / OEM filter

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Out: Dealer Bulk (PYB, 5w-20?), Mopar Filter
In: PPPP 5w-30, Fram X2 Filter (Only filter available, will be changed with Napa Gold)

Back