Finding Generic Brands of a Generac Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Hot_Ajax, let's try to remove some confusion here ...

1) what kind of equipment is it? Generator, pressure washer, elephant scrubber???
I presume it's a whole house generator by the way you've described it, but it could be portable equipment?

2) What does your manual say for O/FCIs?

3) Is the piece of equipment still under warranty?

I suspect that huge hydraulic filter you found is NOT what you're needing. Likely, some equivilant of a small filter with a 3/4-16 thread, or perhaps a metric will be what you seek.

My dad has a Generac standby genny, and it has the v-twin GT990 motor. Generac makes all their motors in the household line, except for some really small motors they may buy. Overall, I think just about all the pressure-fed Generac engines typical of the unit you have use the same filter, and the Wix equivalent is the 51394. I suspect that's probably what you seek. The Wix site has a filter search for "off highway equipment" which includes a LONG list of Generac equipment; start there first. You can either search by "generator" or by "engine" category. Just about any criteria I put in for a 7kw genny, or with a single or small twin cyl engine, all come up with the same answer; Wix 51394. You can get that filter at many local places such as ORs, or the NG equal. Or, easily x-ref's into your favorite brand of filter. This is a pretty common little filter and should be easy for you to find for $4-6 bucks; feature dependent.

Wix does offer other filters, but they are for much larger generators than what you have. Most of the other offerings are for gennys with 25kw and above, and have four cylinder engines, large diesel engines, etc. That's not what you have; you have a small 7kw genny with likely a single clinder engine. All the household-type genny stuff takes the same Wix 51394.

You, sir, are a genius. I did check out the Wix website as you suggested. I was unable to find my exact generator (Model 5870) or exact engine (Generac avoided putting the engine model in my owner's manual). But I did notice that all of the smaller engines use that 51394 filter. That, and I did measurements of the filter that is currently on the generator. The 51394 is close enough that I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I am a bit torqued off at Generac because they won't tell me the model of the engine. Seems they can make a lot of greenbacks selling their filters with their name on it for $25.00. Thanks for your help. Now I'm going to NAPA and get bent over.

I have a 16K Generac with the GT-990 twin engine. I just changed out a Napa Gold 1394, a very solid filter. See photos I posted of it cut open this week:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...929#Post3377651

My research says the following oil filters also fit my unit:

Baldwin B33
Bosch 3311
Carquest 85394
Fram TG4967
Hastings LF410
Napa 1394 and 31394
Wix 51394

I have omitted Mann and Purolator due to recent media tearing concerns. Bosch also?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I have a 16K Generac with the GT-990 twin engine. I just changed out a Napa Gold 1394, a very solid filter. See photos I posted of it cut open this week:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...929#Post3377651

My research says the following oil filters also fit my unit:

Baldwin B33
Bosch 3311
Carquest 85394
Fram TG4967
Hastings LF410
Napa 1394 and 31394
Wix 51394

I have omitted Mann and Purolator due to recent media tearing concerns. Bosch also?

Mann with media tearing problems? Hard to believe. I used Mann filters in my Mercedes for years and never had a lubrication-related problem. Where did you find that out about the tearing problems? Not that I don't believe you. Just that my faith in German-made products has been rock-solid.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
I'm not sure about all the abbreviations used on this board. What is an "O / FCI"? Thanks.

OCI = Oil Change Interval

FCI = Filter Change Interval

I'm not referring to the German made Mann filters, rather the USA made Mann filters manufactured at Purolator plants. The Mann black cans made in the USA = Purolator Classics, give or take a hair.

Many thanks to NormanBuntz and dNewton3 for their advice. Have a great weekend. The Wix 51394 / NAPA 1394 fit perfectly, and she ran great during the 12-minute exercise period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back