Cut open an Advance Auto AA3980

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, the general construction of this filter looked identical to the Purolators pictured on T-kieth's site. There has been some speculation that the endcaps were cardboard in the cheap AA filters, however, this is deinitely not the case with the one I cut open. Nice, sturdy metal at both ends, and no signs of any failure after 4000 miles of use. I did not count pleats.

I paid $1.25 for this filter on sale... I feel I've gotten my money's worth.
smile.gif

EDIT: It looked just like a taller version of the filter pictured here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002055#000015

Are you talking about the total grip. If so I cut one open already(along with a maxlife filter). I'll try and get the pics up soon.

Yeah, Total Grip. I'll try and snap some pictures of my used one that I chopped open. Looks like normal Purolator construction, as you have shown with the PF47 equivilant Total Grip.

I just cut open a AA3980 (1.25 baby!) that I ran for 4000 miles. It had metal endcaps. No problems that I could see from my limited examination.

I forgot to take pictures before throwing it away...
pat.gif

Have another one due in a couple more weeks though.

The pleat count was disapointing, but otherwise it seemed good. I think I paid around $2, but since I can get a Purolator Premium plus for $2.66 I think I'll stick with that.

-T

Interesting!
I have only cut one open so far, but mine had the non-metal, hard cardboard-like material end caps, so it’s not just speculation. My cartridge was very sturdy in every respect, actually was pretty tough to poke a small screwdriver through that endcap.
Here are the dimensions on my one example so far;
Pleats- 53
Pleat depth- 8/16 in
Element length- 3 12/16 in
Metal spacer insert that supported the adbv
String around the element

Of the 4 I have on the shelf, 2 have a code of
F12P04D1 on the dome end, 2 have F07D10G1. Code is kinda hard to read on that grip paint, maybe this helps?

Any body else have more examples?

[ May 23, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

ZR2... what model was your filter? Is it possible that the AA filters are sourced from 2 plants with 2 manufacturing methods?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back