M1 filter at 5k miles; Change it or leave it on for 5k more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, seeing the relatively short time span that 10k will be reached, I wouldn't have any issues with using it for 10k. I've used the SD-15 (or the biggest Ford type filter) for 12.5k without insult. I would imagine that M1 is at par or better than the Amsoil. With 20k+/yr., 6months sounds like a reasonable OCI/fitler change. This naturally assumes a properly tuned and functioning engine.

Anybody else wanna chime in on this topic before I change the oil this weekend? Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.
smile.gif

Well BITOGers, here's what I've decided; As of today, "Little Red's" GC & M1 filter have 5k miles on them. I can't bring myself to throw the M1 filter away just yet & I can't make myself mix fresh GC with the old GC that would stay in the filter if I don't change it.

Sooooooo......I've decided to go 7500 miles on the GC oil & M1 filter, then change both at that time. That will only take me about 5 more weeks. I'll get a UOA & do a filter disection at that time & see how things look.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
In my mind this M1 filter is probably better than the oem and Mann or Mahle that are the usual faire.

om-m-m-m...what you said!
shocked.gif

One minor mileage tweak & a point of interest:

I last changed my VW's oil at 46100 miles. I'm going to run the current GC/M1 filter combo out to 7900 miles, which will put it at an even 55000 miles. With my driving pattern, I will hit 55000 miles the week of 15July05.

I searched the UOA forums. My planned 7900 mile run will be the longest to date on GC in a VW 1.8T. The UOA results should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back