crank sensor stuck on liberty - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor on a Jeep Liberty. Where it is positioned it has gathered a lot of rust. the sensor is stuck - I can get pliers on it - but I am afraid of breaking it - that would open up a whole new world of hurt!

I would suggest spraying the threads with freeze off. it works wonders on frozen threads and stuck bolts. My cousin had stuck brake caliper bleed screws and they broke free with no effort. You can pick it up at advanced auto

I'm not familiar with this exact setup, but if it's what I'm thinking of, it's a round thing in a hole stuck there because you can't break the o-ring free of the corrosion. Is that it?

What I'll usually do to get those out is:
Twist it back and forth a few times. Spray it with silicone spray lube, not penetrating oil. Rock it back and forth for a while to work the silicone in to the o-ring. Position two small prybars 180° apart applying equal force to pry it straight out.

If there's not enough room to pry equally at opposite sides:
Get a torch and heat the metal around the sensor. Don't get too crazy with it, just get it hot enough to melt the plastic. The plastic will soften and it will then be easy to just grab the thing with pliers and pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back