First oil change what OCi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some debate about the first oci on Subaru fb25. The earlier engines call for the first change at 3750 while the newer ones call for the first at 7500. Both call for subsequent changes at 7500. Aside from just following the manual does this warrant discussion?

You could change early, I usually do, but you can't go wrong following the manual.

When my new vehicles use synthetic oil or dexos (semi-synthetic), I usually follow manual, and don't change early.

Last edited:
I changed our FB25 FF at 3000K. FF oil will be sheared and loaded with particulate. I wouldn't change at 900, but 2500- 3500 would be reasonable. This engine is NOT easy on oil like the EJ. The EJ had a dry timing system and rollerised cam follower and rockers. The FB has extensive wet chain system and class 2 lever stationary HLA and VVTi.

The FB was hard on oil thru the first 3 oci and exhibited sticky Timing chain tensioners using either M1 or Idemitsu SM. It now likes VSP and PU.

Agree with the above poster.

Highly recommend you change the oil and filter early (say at 3,750 intervals) for the first 15,000 miles while the engine is breaking in and contaminants are at higher levels in the oil.

Example:

Then go to a 5,000 mile OCI for mixed driving or 7,500 for mostly freeway driving.

If Subaru doesn't insist that the FF be left in for a full normal OCI, drop it at 3-4K and then go to a normal interval.
I ran the FF in my '12 Accord to 8.7K only because Honda insists that the FF be run for a full normal interval.
I've always like early drains for the FF on new cars.

Well I think I have finalized my plan...i will run to 5k dump and run Mobil 1 EP 0w20 to 5k. Get a baseline UOA and change it for a fresh batch of Mobil 1 EP and run to 10k and get a UOA. If everything is kosher I will continue to run EP for 10k OCIs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back