How bad is idling...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always heard that idling isnt good for a car engine, yet there are UOA on here from vehicles that idle and they are decent. Are the UOA just not picking up on excess engine wear or is idling really not that bad? I know at idle you have low oil pressure, would a thinner or thicker oil aid in regards to this? Would a thin oil aid in easier pumpability and make its way to the cams and valves at the top, or would thicker be better. Just wondering, Ive been doing more idling in my car lately and it got me thinking, how bad is it really? Also, is your engine properly cooled at idle, and what parts of the engine suffer the most from idling? Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ive always heard that idling isnt good for a car engine, yet there are UOA on here from vehicles that idle and they are decent. Are the UOA just not picking up on excess engine wear or is idling really not that bad? I know at idle you have low oil pressure, would a thinner or thicker oil aid in regards to this? Would a thin oil aid in easier pumpability and make its way to the cams and valves at the top, or would thicker be better. Just wondering, Ive been doing more idling in my car lately and it got me thinking, how bad is it really? Also, is your engine properly cooled at idle? Thanks for any and all help!

Greg,seriously your worrying waaay too much about things.
UOA's are a tool,change your oil when your supposed to,your golden,seriously.

I don't think it is that bad. Cop cars idle all day, then are sold to cab companies and live for 400-500k. If it was bad those cars would be shot at 200k or less, especially given all the hours those engines log without the miles going on the odometer....

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Ive always heard that idling isnt good for a car engine, yet there are UOA on here from vehicles that idle and they are decent. Are the UOA just not picking up on excess engine wear or is idling really not that bad? I know at idle you have low oil pressure, would a thinner or thicker oil aid in regards to this? Would a thin oil aid in easier pumpability and make its way to the cams and valves at the top, or would thicker be better. Just wondering, Ive been doing more idling in my car lately and it got me thinking, how bad is it really? Also, is your engine properly cooled at idle? Thanks for any and all help!

Greg,seriously your worrying waaay too much about things.
UOA's are a tool,change your oil when your supposed to,your golden,seriously.

To be honest, more curious than worried. But yes I do have some level of concern.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
I don't think it is that bad. Cop cars idle all day, then are sold to cab companies and live for 400-500k. If it was bad those cars would be shot at 200k or less, especially given all the hours those engines log without the miles going on the odometer....

This is a perfect example right here. We bought a old police Crown Victoria with 60,000 miles.We all know police vehicles idle alot.This same car Greg,now has 270,000 miles and we drive it EVERYWHERE.

smile.gif

Idling was probably a lot worse in the old days of cars with mechanical carbs.

Fuel delivery and ignition is much more precise and the burn is cleaner.

its ok for the most part it is Not good for the cats or some of the sensors but for the engine its not terrible it adds to the wear and if it over heats there could be problems

2 things: fouled plugs and fuel in oil. Not catastrophic, but not good either.
Also, if you warm up the engine by warming, you increase wear in the long run.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
its ok for the most part it is Not good for the cats or some of the sensors but for the engine its not terrible it adds to the wear and if it over heats there could be problems

Why is it hard on the cats and sensors?

33.gif

I've NEVER seen an properly running EFI car/truck foul plugs,it just doesnt happen.

I have no concerns about such things, what concerns me is that there is lack of oil circulation and pressure at idle, causing excess wear.

33.gif

I've NEVER seen an properly running EFI car/truck foul plugs,it just doesnt happen.

If plug temp is below the self-cleaning threshold, it happens.

The fact that you haven't seen something doesn't prove it doesn't exist, Einstein.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
33.gif

If plug temp is below the self-cleaning threshold, it happens.

The fact that you haven't seen something doesn't prove it doesn't exist, Einstein.

Air fuel ratios are pretty dead on on a EFI vehicle,so again it's highly doubtful unless you never do vehicle maintenance.
I'm around vehicles that get tuned on a daily basis,from stock to modified.Does it happen,very rare and it's not from simply idling.

33.gif

I have no concerns about such things, what concerns me is that there is lack of oil circulation and pressure at idle, causing excess wear.

You have plenty of oil pressure @ idle.

Regarding cooling, anybody who tells you idling will cause overheating is an idiot you shouldn't take advice from. Yes, there's no natural air flow at idle, but that's exactly why you have a radiator fan. When your engine reaches a predetermined temperature, sitting in traffic for example, not only does your thermostat stay open as neccesary, but your radiator fan kicks on and pulls air through the radiator as well.

Many members here seem to think that cars are "stupid" and won't function on their own. People on this forum overthink every little thing to the point of creating unnecessary stress for themselves. Engineers know what they're doing. It's not like they designed your powertrain without knowing how idling effects oil pressure and engine temperature. If your vehicle is in good working condition then your oil pressure at idle is what the engineers deemed as adequate to lubricate your engine's moving parts and your cooling system will handle the heat. Let your fan switch do the work and don't concern yourself with these things.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Regarding cooling, anybody who tells you idling will cause overheating is an idiot you shouldn't take advice from. Yes, there's no natural air flow at idle, but that's exactly why you have a radiator fan. When your engine reaches a predetermined temperature, sitting in traffic for example, not only does your thermostat stay open as neccesary, but your radiator fan kicks on and pulls air through the radiator as well.

Many members here seem to think that cars are "stupid" and won't function on their own. People on this forum overthink every little thing to the point of creating unnecessary stress for themselves. Engineers know what they're doing. It's not like they designed your powertrain without knowing how idling effects oil pressure and engine temperature. If your vehicle is in good working condition then your oil pressure at idle is what the engineers deemed as adequate to lubricate your engine's moving parts and your cooling system will handle the heat. Let your fan switch do the work and don't concern yourself with these things.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

For even more information search the topic, it has been discussed several times over the years. Many other members have posted their opinions on the topic as well. The bottom line is there are a lot of engines that logged some very high miles and spent a lot of time idling.

I dont think it has a significant impact but whats the point of idling for long periods of time? I guess it depends on the reason you idle so much. Id rather start up wait 1 minute (all times outside of being winter) and get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back