2014 John Deere X300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this mower last weekend. Going to use it like we used the Cub Cadet. Mowing, pulling a lawn sweeper, and plowing snow. Any of you guys have any thoughts on this? It was between this or a Garden tractor version but they were out of our budget. And this X series is supposed to be heavier duty than the regular lawn tractor i.e D-140. What do you guy``s think of this model?

I think plowing snow makes the upgrade to a x300 over a box store caliber riding mower/tractor a good decision. Even if you're not the longevity and resale value makes the difference in cost smaller than the purchase price makes it seem. Definitely it's better than the D1xx series.

Was it still made in Horicon, WI?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Just bought this mower last weekend. Going to use it like we used the Cub Cadet. Mowing, pulling a lawn sweeper, and plowing snow. Any of you guys have any thoughts on this? It was between this or a Garden tractor version but they were out of our budget. And this X series is supposed to be heavier duty than the regular lawn tractor i.e D-140. What do you guy``s think of this model?

What transaxle did it come with?

Mowing and sweeper probably not an issue. Plowing, depending on how much and how heavy, could be an issue for the transaxle.

What happened to your Cub?

Nice JD. Should be a Tufftorq trans. K46 maybe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

yeah it`s the k46. Weak link in the whole thing from what I`v read. Bit I`m going to have the dealer (where I bought it) change the oil to synthetic 5W-50 after 50 hours. Should be fine then.

Oh the Cub cadet will be grass duty only at my wife`s Insurance agency. I will be using it there this summer. And we have a shed for it to be in as well. That has been a [censored] good machine MTD or not. That was from our cub dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think plowing snow makes the upgrade to a x300 over a box store caliber riding mower/tractor a good decision. Even if you're not the longevity and resale value makes the difference in cost smaller than the purchase price makes it seem. Definitely it's better than the D1xx series.

Was it still made in Horicon, WI?

Good question. I`ll have to check when it`s delivered first week of April. We didnt have room for two units here at the same time. Or one would have had to be outside (covered) so thats why we did it this way.

yeah it`s the k46. Weak link in the whole thing from what I`v read. Bit I`m going to have the dealer (where I bought it) change the oil to synthetic 5W-50 after 50 hours. Should be fine then.

Havent read enough to know if the oil itself is the issue or just weak(er) parts in the transaxle. It was also used in the non-GTH Husqvarna tractors, and is actually the reason I went with a GTH instead (GTH gets you a more stout GearHydro unit)

I think as long as you dont overheat it you'll be fine. Considering you will be plowing snow, thats presumably still snow
smile.gif
overheating might never be an issue.

I have a 2007 X300 and it has been a good tractor. There is absolutely no comparison IMO between the X and D series. The Kawasaki in it is a sweet motor. The weak link appears to be the K46, but that is not critical if you work the machine within the parameters of the transmission.

Granted I've never had one, but I wouldn't necessarily call the K46 weak. Those babies have been in production forever. Lots of info avail online in regards to servicing and working on them.

The only TT I've owned was on a 1992 JD GT262 that had a 5spd fender shift gear drive, back when TT made gear drives. That one had & Kawi 17hp single.

Much nicer machine than my D105. From what I was told, the X series will last a lot longer than the D series when pushed hard. Having put some time on my D series, it's definitely made to a price point, and to only cut grass/pull light implements. You made the right call on getting a X300 instead of a D140 considering the year-round use it will be put through.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Much nicer machine than my D105. From what I was told, the X series will last a lot longer than the D series when pushed hard. Having put some time on my D series, it's definitely made to a price point, and to only cut grass/pull light implements. You made the right call on getting a X300 instead of a D140 considering the year-round use it will be put through.

yeah, but wish it didn't have the k46 transaxle in it. would feel much better if it had a 58 or 66.

Might have to bite the bullet and attempt to service it regularly.

That hydro unit is definitely a lot better for all-weather use than the CVT in mine and a lot of the other cheaper "automatic" riders. I sprayed mine off one day, and it wouldn't go very fast until the belt dried itself out through friction around the pulleys. A little bit of snow/salt would likely play hob with that CVT if a hearty spray from a hose made it slip.

My '08 JD LA125 with a TuffTorque T40 has around 200 hours on it, I change the oil & pressure wash the T40 every season, Hopefully a K46 doesn't have to be removed like my T40.

Keep an eye on the cooling fan, The blades break off easily

When I changed out the oil in my TT to 15w-50 M1 at 50 hours after conversing with TT's tech line I was amazed at how quiet and happy the unit became.

Seriously, the whine was almost eliminated and the thing is obviously very happy now. Just blow off the crud before you park it!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

When I changed out the oil in my TT to 15w-50 M1 at 50 hours after conversing with TT's tech line I was amazed at how quiet and happy the unit became.

Seriously, the whine was almost eliminated and the thing is obviously very happy now. Just blow off the crud before you park it!

15W-50 huh? thanks steve. i also thought about gc 0W-30 too?

15W-50 huh? thanks steve. i also thought about gc 0W-30 too?

I called and had a great discussion with some tech guy, he suggested the M1 15w-50 as I am in Fl and rarely use the mower in temps under 80+ degrees F.

Seriously, it is nearly whisper quiet now and it used to whine and squeal like a stuck pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back