Mityvac versus Electric oil changer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I am looking to buy an oil suction tool to suck gear oil out of a Mazda cx9 transfer case. It is a royal pain to get to as well as to get a tube into, I tried it with a regular suction gun and it wasn't happening. It was just to hard to get it there. So I am going either with a mighty vac such as this
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid...4749&sr=1-1

or an electric oil changer like this
http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1012-...rds=oil+changer

price is of no consideration, I want what is going to suck out 75w140 gear oil the fastest and best. So if anyone has experience with both please chime in, I do plan to drive it for a bit to get the fluid up to a decent temperature before extraction. Thanks again....

I just pumped out front and rear diff grease outta my K1500 with Mity 7201.

Only problem with 7201 are MORONS that are in a hurry (you sound like you might be impatient) over-pump the Mity's to hurry them along, and people blow out seals on them.

If you can relax and be cool..... Nothing better than 7201. I see a lot of electric pumps burn up in the marina just pumping oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I just pumped out front and rear diff grease outta my K1500 with Mity 7201.

Only problem with 7201 are MORONS that are in a hurry (you sound like you might be impatient) over-pump the Mity's to hurry them along, and people blow out seals on them.

If you can relax and be cool..... Nothing better than 7201. I see a lot of electric pumps burn up in the marina just pumping oil.

What marina do you frequent?

On a side note, what is the rate of flow for the 7201? I too am in need of a fluid extractor. I used an electric one which drained my battery.. Plus I like the idea of not needing a power source. Makes the tool a bit more versatile IMO.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What marina do you frequent?

On a side note, what is the rate of flow for the 7201? I too am in need of a fluid extractor. I used an electric one which drained my battery.. Plus I like the idea of not needing a power source. Makes the tool a bit more versatile IMO.

I keep our boats in Algonac on Lake St. Clair. Not in Indiana.

I have no idea what the "flow" rate is. Depends on the viscosity of the fluid you are pumping out. Light oils and ATF....I think it pumps out about 5 quarts in about 5-7 minutes. And I do NOT aggressive pressurize the system. So, I'm sure it could go faster than that, but I'm not willing to ruin my unit.

But when I pumped out 75w140 on a 55 degree day, it was like 1 quart every 5-7 minutes, also with minimal pumping.

No im not impatient at all. It is just a really hard to get to transfer case, so I need to be able to get into position and hold the hose and count on the pump getting it out while i hold the hose in place, its only a quart, I don't need it pumped out in 30 seconds just need it to get it all out while im in the awkward position under the vehicle holding the hose. Just want something I can count on to do this, the only electric oil changers ive seen reviewed or discussed on here are cheapies, I wondered if it would be more reliable suction with a good one. I also have seen a few posts on the mityvacs ceasing to work, but it sounds like a situation of over-pressurization as you've stated. How long of a hose does the mityvac come with ? and how small does it go on hose size ? I am need like a 1/4 inch hose to go in the transfer case fill plug hole.

There's probably no better fluid extractor than Mityvac MV7201 for less than $100.

It can extract 8.5 quarts of M1 0W40 at around 110-120F in about 10-12 minutes with 8-10 pumps using larger suction hose. The speed of extraction depends on the fluid temperature and viscosity.

There are 2 siphon hoses and 1 main tube. The main tube is connect to the reservoir, the suction hose is connect to the main tube through an adapter. The smaller hose is probably about 1/4" outside diameter. The 2 suction hoses are fairly rigid and can't be used for bleeding the brake, a foot of flexible hose is needed and it can be purchased at any hardware store for less than 50 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back