What's the consensus Pennzoil synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree, just illustrating how SOPUS has chosen to differentiate, I.e, 40% v 50%. As you mention though, without specifying weight.

Wish we had a VOA/UOA on this oil. We are using it in our Corrolla and so far so good, but I wonder if the add pack is similar to PYB.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Completely agree, just illustrating how SOPUS has chosen to differentiate, I.e, 40% v 50%. As you mention though, without specifying weight.

Those figures give them an exceedingly wide degree of latitude, too, considering the number of significant figures used (one) and various marketing qualifiers that can be used. 40% and 50%, eh? Exactly? 35.0% and 44.9% can both be correctly rounded to 40%. 45.0% and 54.9% can be similarly rounded to 50%. A minimum of 40% synthetic base stocks also includes the 50% figure. Up to 50% base stocks can include the 40% figure.

The differentiation is barely there. I contend they simply reformulated (if they even had to) the 5w-30 Gold, got a dexos1 license, and slapped labeling on it. Further, with respect to a differentiation, we need to see if they wind up having two separate sheets. As it stands, the 5w-30 Gold sheet is fairly dated already, at least two years old. There is no PDS up for the dexos1 blend. Some lady in a video or a bunch of marketing terms doesn't differentiate product. Two different products in two different bottles does with two different bar codes does.

If you read the MSDS for both, "Gold" uses Synthetic Hydrocarbon base oils, and "Synthetic Blend" uses Synthetic Hydrocarbon and PAO base oils. Both list Group II oils used only as additive dilutant.
The additive packages may also be different. Many companies when seeking Dexos certifications will use an additive chemistry that has already proven to pass Dexos certs. Gold may use the PYB additive chemistry, while Syn Blend may use the Platinum/QSUD additive chemistry. Just speculation though.
PDS and MSDS for both can be found on epc.shell.com.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
PDS and MSDS for both can be found on epc.shell.com.

I'm going to say something and try to keep a straight face. Now, be aware that there are two ways to approach what I'm about to point out. Take a very close look at the PDS for Pennzoil Gold 5w-30, notably the test results and specifications. Then, do the same for the Pennzoil dexos1 blend 5w-30. Tell me what you see. I see identical numbers for every test. Also note that the Gold PDS is one month newer than the dexos1 blend's sheet.

That tells me that Pennzoil Gold 5w-30 and Pennzoil dexos1 blend 5w-30 are identical products. Or, it tells me that someone is exceptionally lazy in their tech department. Actually, they are pretty lazy in their tech department, and that's independent of this issue.

Don't bother quoting me what an MSDS says. They're less than useless unless I happen to be the one checking the paperwork after a spill or fire. And, I happen to know that the spill cleanup and fire protection protocols are the same for motor oil in general, whether it's Pennzoil Ultra with GTL or four decades old Group I Pennzoil SAE 30, so as long as the MSDS says something that makes some degree of sense, no enforcement action will be taken.

I have been uncharacteristically upset with SOPUS the past few days. I had an argument with them and their local distributor, since their distribution network in western Canada is an absolute nightmare. They screwed it up many years ago, and I thought the wrinkles would be ironed out by now. That's absolutely not the case. They can't even supply a sensible quantity or selection of PCMOs. Talking to them about compressor oils is like talking to a wall. What if I needed a real niche product? At the rate they're going, I'm going to be using Delvac 1 permanently and in everything.

Originally Posted By: salv
If you read the MSDS for both, "Gold" uses Synthetic Hydrocarbon base oils, and "Synthetic Blend" uses Synthetic Hydrocarbon and PAO base oils.

Got it, thanks for the added research.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
What's it going into? I'd not recommend it for longer than 5k miles in any turbocharged or direct-injected car. That's based on it being a dexos1 oil in 5w-30 flavor, and the very similar AC Delco dexos1 5w-30 getting ripped to shreds in turbo/DI cars by 5k miles.

Been talking to a few mechanic friends... more so than just the turbo, the timing chain lubrication is also of great concern....so, you were right, QSUD it is at next oil change.

Last edited:
When finished with this interval, i think i will just use QSUD. The pitfalls and nuances of the "OEM recommendations" just arent worth the effort when looking for a niche oil that caters to your overall driving dynamics, especially where warranty is a concern. QSUD will be the safe bet.

If it is close to the Gold verison (which I know did not pass dexos tests) it sounds like it is going to fall flat like AC Delco's (mobil) syn blend....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If it is close to the Gold verison (which I know did not pass dexos tests) it sounds like it is going to fall flat like AC Delco's (mobil) syn blend....

It didn't? You "know" this how?

Well we are on our second OCI with PSB, and we like it. While I decided to go with PP in my Trailblazer, we stuck with it in the Corrolla. My lady swears she's getting 2-3 more MPG and the car is much quieter when it comes to cold starts. So while I've still not seen any VOA/UOAs, it seems like a pretty good oil for the Yota.

It's mighty tempting but I've never pulled the trigger on it because of that lack of VOA's/UOA's I'd like to know whats in it first.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It's mighty tempting but I've never pulled the trigger on it because of that lack of VOA's/UOA's I'd like to know whats in it first.

+1

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Agreed....that and quaker state's blend too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back