PWC 4 Stroke...opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed and discussed with opinions varying in every direction....but I have a specific oil question regarding my new Yamaha VX Deluxe Waverunner.
My question is: I would like to use a synthetic marine grade (FC-W certified only) synthetic (10w-40 only) in my PWC. My two main choices after some quick research are as follows....Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic or Mystik JT-4 4-cycle Marine Synthetic.
Any opinions of what oil is of better quality/base stock/performance in a marine application?
Thanks in advance.

I would also use a marine oil in a pwc, unlike a large boat where it's possible moisture wouldn't get in the oil that's harder to avoid in a pwc.

The Mystik is a Citgo product and so is Yamalube. That's probably what I would use. Amsoil makes great stuff too, I guess it depends on the price and how easy it is for you to get it.

Amsoil and Mystik would be equal in terms of availability since I'll be mail ordering it. Price though? The Mystik is less expensive. Amsoil = $11.05 vs. Mystik = $6.06 Price for me really isn't the issue as much as the best oil for the application. I also know that any good marine oil, or perhaps even an auto oil, would suffice. But I've narrowed it down to those two as my choices.....including the FC-W certification. I plan on keeping my PWC for a long time.
I'm not crazy about the Citgo (Venezuela) linkage. But I can look past it.

Last edited:
Both would be great also Royal Purple HPM 10w40 claims it exceeds FC-W and can be had with free shipping from Jegs.

AT the end of the day it won't matter, so use the cheapest oil. Many PWC forum's users are using Shell T6 5W40. I use GC in my Sea-doo 4-tec, but will switch to a cheaper oil when my stash is gone...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
AT the end of the day it won't matter, so use the cheapest oil. Many PWC forum's users are using Shell T6 5W40. I use GC in my Sea-doo 4-tec, but will switch to a cheaper oil when my stash is gone...

I understand what you are saying....and might even agree with it. But if that was what it all came down to....this site would not even exist for the most part, would it? I mean we all know that any good brand of oil with the proper specs will be fine in just about any application. But.........indulgence and overkill brings a bit of satisfaction for me with my vehicles.
Thanks for the opinion though....it's appreciated.

Use similar to what manufacturer ask ?if you have an oil filter stay with dyno oil you could go 0wwhatever manufacturer ask!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Use similar to what manufacturer ask ?if you have an oil filter stay with dyno oil you could go 0wwhatever manufacturer ask!

Thanks....but I realize that. Did you read my first post in this thread? I wanted opinions between the two choices I outlined....not that any oil will work per the manufacture. I know that already.

So.....no opinions on what oil of the two has better base stock or chemical makeup that MAY be a better oil for a marine application?
I guess I'm just wondering why Amsoil is almost double the price of Mystik? Do the properties of Amsoil and the spec sheet make the case over Mystik for them....or not?

How many hours are you planing to run it? Both oils should be fine, if it were me I would buy the one that will save you money.

The average person puts 30 hours per year on their watercraft. 4 stroke watercraft will last 1000 hours before rebuild, that means it will last 33 years. This is not what you want to hear, but it wont matter what oil you use.

Last edited:
How many hours are you planing to run it? Both oils should be fine, if it were me I would buy the one that will save you money.

The average person puts 30 hours per year on their watercraft. 4 stroke watercraft will last 1000 hours before rebuild, that means it will last 33 years. This is not what you want to hear, but it wont matter what oil you use.

Probably 80% of the oil questions on this entire board could be summed up with "it won't matter what oil you use". However, as I've pointed out more than once...I realize that any oil that adheres to Yamaha's specs will not probably make a difference. But that wasn't what I asked in the very first post in this thread. I could ask a similar question in the automotive oil section and get far more info, analysis, and insight from folks. I do appreciate all responses though. It seems that my question is a fairly narrow one that has no answer. I'm not sure I agree with you though about the one thousand hour lifespan of a 4-cycle PWC. Also, the very fact that the craft sits for a portion of the year, and in between runs (up to a few weeks sometimes), that persuades me of the value in using a high quality synthetic. Not to mention the fact that a PWC gets VERY hard use during the riding season....full, hard throttle hundreds of times during any long ride as well as towing skiers. Actually, I can't imagine many engines that get much harder use.

How many hours do you plan to put on each year?

I don't have an accurate number on that. I'd guess anywhere from 40 to maybe 60. I ride in the winter much less frequently of course. It will be in a garage when not in use and I intend on not bothering to winterize since the temps in the garage will be kept slightly above freezing.
I did do some more online research and saw that some 4-strokes do make it to 1000 hours of use. That surprised me. Most however die from abuse or destruction from water in the hull/sinking.
Still....I realize I do not NEED synthetic quality oil to operate in my PWC. But I do want it. Same thing for my cars. I don't NEED it....but I enjoy knowing the engine has the best protection I can provide.
After all, this entire website is pretty much dedicated to those that want the best lubes for any particular vehicle and little to do with what lubricant will suffice.

I have seen many make it to 1000 hours, but most will die before that from neglect.

What does Yamaha recommend for OCI? I would guess 100 hours same as Sea-Doo. In that case you could use a synthetic oil and do a 2 year OCI given the hours of use you expect.

I don't know what base oil the 2 picks you have chosen are using, but I think either is a good choice.

I have seen many make it to 1000 hours, but most will die before that from neglect.

What does Yamaha recommend for OCI? I would guess 100 hours same as Sea-Doo. In that case you could use a synthetic oil and do a 2 year OCI given the hours of use you expect.

I don't know what base oil the 2 picks you have chosen are using, but I think either is a good choice.

Yamaha says 100 hours. Regardless, I'll be doing it myself every season.
I may just use Amsoil even though I don't particularly care for the business model. The connection Mystik has with Venezuela is a turn-off for me. Yes, I'm sure either oil is great so I'll be fine with my choice. Sure wish I could have gotten to know the real differences in these two lubes however.

Mystic lubes are not really talked about much here. Not "loved" by BITOG members...
21.gif

I'm surprised that so little analysis and comparisons exist of the marine oils on here. In the auto oil section you can find out just about anything about a particular automotive oil. Not so much with boat lubes.

I'm curious as to why you are only looking at (FC-W certified only) That is really only needed for engines with a catalyst emissions system.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-wcat.aspx

Shell 5W40 T6 is one of the favorite oils on many PWC forums . As mentioned I'm using GC even though it doesn't meet Sea-Doo specs being a 0W30. It doesnt shear down, and I know its a good oil. I will do about 35 hours on the ski and I will likely change it after one year, although I can easily go 2 seasons given my low hours. The oil filter can go 2 years easily

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why you are only looking at (FC-W certified only) That is really only needed for engines with a catalyst emissions system.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-wcat.aspx

Shell 5W40 T6 is one of the favorite oils on many PWC forums . As mentioned I'm using GC even though it doesn't meet Sea-Doo specs being a 0W30. It doesnt shear down, and I know its a good oil. I will do about 35 hours on the ski and I will likely change it after one year, although I can easily go 2 seasons given my low hours. The oil filter can go 2 years easily

FC-W...not specifically FC-Wcat.
http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back