Would this prevent a dry start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you can help lessen the effects of dry starts by pre-filling the oil filter, but when you use an oil filter for 2 OCI's, and leave it on during an oil change, only draining out the oil, would there be any dry start at all?

Unlikely. An empty filter causes it so if its full you should be good. The only issue i see is if the filter runs out of used oil before new oil gets to it causing a brief delay in the oil circulation if you get what im saying.

When I use an oil filter for 2x intervals, I still pull it and drain the old oil from it, then refill with new oil and screw it back on. Oil pressure light does go out quicker vs a completely dry filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know you can help lessen the effects of dry starts by pre-filling the oil filter, but when you use an oil filter for 2 OCI's, and leave it on during an oil change, only draining out the oil, would there be any dry start at all?

Nope.
Unless the drain back valve has failed of course.
Otherwise the oil circuit from the filter forward still has oil and only the circuit from the pick up tube to the filter will be empty,which I suspect happens every time you shut off the engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
When I use an oil filter for 2x intervals, I still pull it and drain the old oil from it, then refill with new oil and screw it back on. Oil pressure light does go out quicker vs a completely dry filter.

I don't bother. I would rather not potentially compromise the gasket and the seal.
At most there is a quart in the filter and top end. At the most.
Considering most drain the oil way too early anyways that means there is still serviceable oil up top,and new oil in the pan.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Nope.
Unless the drain back valve has failed of course.
Otherwise the oil circuit from the filter forward still has oil and only the circuit from the pick up tube to the filter will be empty,which I suspect happens every time you shut off the engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I don't bother. I would rather not potentially compromise the gasket and the seal.
At most there is a quart in the filter and top end. At the most.
Considering most drain the oil way too early anyways that means there is still serviceable oil up top,and new oil in the pan.

I wont be taking off the filter for the oil change, what would be the point of taking off the filter if you are re-using it. Might as well change it if its off =P

I feel like Clevy that I would rather not affect gasket and seal while pulling off filter, draining, and reinstall. When I do reuse a filter for a second run, I just change oil, and refill.

And I don't think you ever really get a dry start as there is oil in the top of engine and still in oil rings from previous shut off. However you do want to get the oil flowing as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back