Bypass for Camry transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
On second thought, yes there is room on the cross-member located in front of the engine with plenty of room for this assembly. Probably a better solution especially if I go to sell the car. I would hate to drill holes in this car that aren't needed.

Even fish everything up top ..like near the master cylinder or something. Hose knows no limits
21.gif

Well, you surely can. You can also typically go much finer since you don't have to cope with combustion byproducts that would shorten its life.

..but any filter is better than no filter

Just to update this, i installed the bypass the other night. I actually found a perfect location for it up in the drivers side bumper cover space just forward of the wheel well. I used some zip ties to secure in and it is actually quite solid. Got everything buttoned up and ran it for a few to see if the filter would get warm. Started to warm up after about two minutes. Im excited to see what this will turn out in future UOA's!

I plan to change the filter about every two years or so based on Garys recommendation. I figure as long as its getting hot everything is copasetic. And i dont see putting 60,000 miles on this thing even in two years time so that seems like a good time to get a new one. Thanks again for everyones input!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Just to update this, i installed the bypass the other night. I actually found a perfect location for it up in the drivers side bumper cover space just forward of the wheel well. I used some zip ties to secure in and it is actually quite solid. Got everything buttoned up and ran it for a few to see if the filter would get warm. Started to warm up after about two minutes. Im excited to see what this will turn out in future UOA's!

I plan to change the filter about every two years or so based on Garys recommendation. I figure as long as its getting hot everything is copasetic. And i dont see putting 60,000 miles on this thing even in two years time so that seems like a good time to get a new one. Thanks again for everyones input!
thumbsup2.gif

everything going good still?

If i were to put an remote engine oil filter inline, what is a good filter that'll filter the very fine particles from the trans oil?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
If i were to put an remote engine oil filter inline, what is a good filter that'll filter the very fine particles from the trans oil?
Baldwin B2-HPG if you have the room. Wix 51515 size, Purolator PL30001 size, etc. The PureOne of any size (more 3/4-16 sizes to fit your space requirements) would be a good choice. Amsoil filters. I'm running a Trasko on my Prizm tranny at this time (has about 10K on it, will be first time change when I get around to it at about 20 or 30K).

ST3614 small stubby ..ST3600 long skinny (longer version of the 3614)..ST8 fat stubby ..ST16 long chubby..maybe one or two more
21.gif

Dave- Yes, the camry is shifting GREAT!! The fluid looks very clean and I have zero leaks. I am looking forward to logging some miles on this thing so that I can perform a UOA. The car has always had a "flare" issue with the trans at low speed,which is a problem that Toyota refuses to fix for me. Oh well, if I drive it a certain way it is not that bad.

The overall feel of the transmission is much more smooth now. Not sure if that is purely psychological or not, but I'm happy.
banana2.gif

here is the latest info i have.
the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. ONLY use high pressure hose. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

the ATP JX-160 is more than likely a fake Magnefine.
It probably says Raybestos on it. if you peel back that white label, it'll save made in china. This is a fake magnefine.
I spoke with a guy at Magnefine & he enlightened me to it.
Also, you can't unscrew the filter to inspect. it's glued together. I destroyed the ATP one I bought trying to unscrew it.

So buyer beware!

(the JX-150 is the 5/16" tube).

I was using thie ATP brand on my p/s return line and after a few months I noticed the steering was stiffer. I was running Redline P/S fluid through the system.
I replaced the atp magnefine fake with a Cardone freebee that's simply a magnet & screen. the steering is back to normal.
I'm guessing the ATP filter wasn't bypassing correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back