Mobil ! 10W-30, 2006 GMC 1500, 20,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so here is what I did. I bought this truck in 2007 with 26,000 miles on it. I changed the oil when I bought it. (Was a repo that I got at auction) Then again at 30,000 and then every 10,000 after that. All of those oil changes were with Mobil 1, 10W-30. I have used Donaldson oil filters only as well. P550505.

When I got to 90,000 miles I decided I would try 20,000 miles on the oil. I knew it would be safe and my truck my choice as well. Then somebody showed me this website. I've done lots of reading here and finally decided to join when I did my oil change.

So my truck hit 110,326 and I decided I would do an oil analysis as well to verify everything is ok.

Here are my results.

Code:

Copper 39

Iron 41

Chrome 2

Alum 4

Silicon 7

Lead 9

Sodium 13

Tin 0

Nickel 2

Barium 0

Silver 0

Zinc 899

Boron 41

Calcium 1310

Phospor 722

Magnesm 713

Potasum 3

Molybdm 105

Titanum 0

Vanadm 0

ST 0

OXI 29

NIT 16

SUL 28

W N

A N

F N

V100 11.7

So what do you guys think?

Is this with normal M1 or M1 EP?

Maybe I am overlooking it but I don't see TBN listed. Without that it is hard to say on the Nitration, oxidation, and sulfation though i am betting it is past TBN.

Many will go into panic mode over the wear metals but they trend with miles and look good imo. Iron for one is at 2.05ppm/1k miles which is pretty dang good.

What kind of trips does this vehicle see?

Originally Posted By: Brent_G

Maybe I am overlooking it but I don't see TBN listed. Without that it is hard to say on the Nitration, oxidation, and sulfation though i am betting it is past TBN.

Many will go into panic mode over the wear metals but they trend with miles and look good imo. Iron for one is at 2.05ppm/1k miles which is pretty dang good.

Copper shouldn't trend with mileage and seems a bit high in this UOA. Everything else looks ok. The oil has started to thicken up a bit but not drastically.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: Brent_G

Copper shouldn't trend with mileage and seems a bit high in this UOA. Everything else looks ok. The oil has started to thicken up a bit but not drastically.

True but the 5.3 usually show higher copper.

Look good but stop using ethanol or bio diesel (if you can)thats one reason you got values(you cant fix prior owner misshap.without ethanol or bio diesel ?next year you ll love what blackstone show.what was the fuel %?(nvm likly ended up in oil filter

I think 20k miles is pushing it too far myself. Your truck seems to be holding up well. I would personally just do the 10k intervals like you did for 70k miles. Why did you decide to change the intervals?

20 bucks every 6 months is peanuts compared to a destroyed engine. i think you are lucky.

Ok,

there is no TBN on the sample, I didn't use Blackstone, The company I work for has their own oil lab.

The engine is the 4.8L V8.

This was just Mobil 1 not EP.

As far as what this truck sees for mileage, I drive 48 miles each way for work. So 96 miles a day. Usually all at 65 mph. I usually miss the rush hours here.

I would love to stop using ethanol. I found a station but it is 40 miles out of the way. I will see if I can try that some.

As far as why I did 20K, first, Was dealing with my wife and lots of medical problems. So every last penny went to the Dr's. Second Once I was past my normal 10, I would think about it, but then something else would come up.

In that 20K, I only had to add 1 quart at about 13000 to bring the level back up.

I did cut the filter and didn't see any metal in the media.

Its an American car I dont think they are build to sustain this kind of engine abuse.

Americans make good trucks, but you have to do more proper maintenance at higher mileage.20k on any oil is simply too long.

Lower OCI, and with no TBN we cant know for sure how much life this oil has left.

Pffffft.

There was some oxidative thickening however I don't see a huge issue.
20000 miles might be a bit long but 15000 is doable without a doubt.

Keep on keeping on.

A friend had a 1999 Silverado 5.3. He put 340K on the engine with no problems. He used M1 5-30 for the life of the truck with 20+K OCIs. Never did a UOA. Sold it a few months ago and bought a new Silverado. I don't do long OCIs(only 10K) myself, but many do and live another day. I also know XM test M1 oils for much longer than 20K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend had a 1999 Silverado 5.3. He put 340K on the engine with no problems. He used M1 5-30 for the life of the truck with 20+K OCIs. Never did a UOA. Sold it a few months ago and bought a new Silverado. I don't do long OCIs(only 10K) myself, but many do and live another day. I also know XM test M1 oils for much longer than 20K.

And fx4's used oil analysis prove without a doubt 10000 mile intervals are barely pushing it in his truck.

I wouldn't worry personally

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And fx4's used oil analysis prove without a doubt 10000 mile intervals are barely pushing it in his truck. I wouldn't worry personally

+1
cheers3.gif
I added .75 quarts at 10K to a 15K run and the TBN was still 2.4 at 15K and it is not linear in depletion. Adding 1QT at 13K of a 20K run on an engine that holds 1QT less than mine would have likely had a TBN at or near my reading at 15K. Although the copper was higher (which I seem to see later model GMs shedding these days), the remainder of the wear metals within normal ranges. While I do not condone that long of a run without checking a few times to verify and set an interval, I see no issues with this. I am working another run of AFE so that I can get to the 0W-20 M1EP I have on deck next...

My 20 years old LS400 with 360+k miles had 12mo OCI with synthetic and 6mo with dino without any UOA. On average, it had about 18k miles OCI with synthetic, the engine is running well but the rest of the car is falling apart.

Not bad. I wonder if Mobil 1 EP would have been better suited for the longer interval though.

Looks really good for the miles in service.
The high copper seems to be a signature of some GM engines.
Everything else looks really nice.
20K on vanilla M1!
Who woulda thunk it?
Kudos to you for trying this and giving us the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back