ST dino vs Mobil 5000. Similar price, similar oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that both oils are roughly about the same price at most Wally Worlds, which would you choose and why? The oils are only about 20 cents apart in price. Mobil 5000 carries actual manufacturer specs, ST does not. However, ST dino is said to be a stout oil in the Warren flavor. How does the Citgo (Lee stamped on the bottom of the jug) compare to Warren?

thanks!

Isn't SOPUS conventional (QSGB and PYB) way, WAY superior to anything out there now? They are actually majority Synthetic GTL based (?!) Don't sacrifice a GREAT oil choice in a Jug over the price of one measley gallon of gas for your "cheap insurance" oil change.

Back to warren (there are too many warrens within warrens in the oil business!)

I've used Supertech what seems like a long time ago and it was a really great oil, no kiddin. Don't know what it is mde of now, surely be location specific.
Up here ST "dino" use to be Exxon Superflo in disguise - which was my dino of choice a while back - and up here, it was within pennies of MC5K so I took the 5k which - had the best basestock at the time.
My cars spec Synthetic so I am off the "dino" merry-go-round, except for my snowthrower and genset.

Valvoline Racing VR1 10w30 synthetic would be my Texas goto oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Isn't SOPUS conventional (QSGB and PYB) way, WAY superior to anything out there now? They are actually majority Synthetic GTL based (?!) Don't sacrifice a GREAT oil choice in a Jug over the price of one measley gallon of gas for your "cheap insurance" oil change.

Yes but Mobil Super and ST dino are the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yes but Mobil Super and ST dino are the cheapest.

Right, and this is what I'm getting at. The 2 cheapest oils. One seems to be a OEM approved performer, the other a darn good sleeper.

Honestly, Mobil Super 5000 is as good or better than any other conventional oil on the market. ST is excellent, but to save only $.50, buy the Mobil.
My only reason for buying a SOPUS product is to take advantage of the Shell Fuel Rewards.
Mobil Super is one of my favorite oils. Our shop's bulk oil Gulfpride AFE 5w30 synthetic blend is awesome too, and dirt cheap. I pay less that $2/qt when I change my oil in our shop.

What difference would it make, choosing one over the other? You're being smart getting involved in the choice. Besides the warranty you might end up keeping the car for a long time and maintenance is as important as driving habits and weather. I'm 30 years into a car that I purchased new and have no intention of selling it. I look at how complicated these new cars are to service and it's really scary.

Try this link.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I like ST. I like MS5K more. Either will work fine.

+1

In addition, PYB has both ST and MS5K beat with loads of moly and boron.

Originally Posted By: salv
Honestly, Mobil Super 5000 is as good or better than any other conventional oil on the market. ST is excellent, but to save only $.50, buy the Mobil.
My only reason for buying a SOPUS product is to take advantage of the Shell Fuel Rewards.
Mobil Super is one of my favorite oils. Our shop's bulk oil Gulfpride AFE 5w30 synthetic blend is awesome too, and dirt cheap. I pay less that $2/qt when I change my oil in our shop.

Never heard of gulfpride. ..is it a distributor only oil? Or can consumers purchase it as well?

This is Mobil Super 5000 after 6K miles.

Notice how clean the metal parts are.

IMG_0511_zpsec43ee77.jpg

picture by JDW

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: wemay
I like ST. I like MS5K more. Either will work fine.

+1

In addition, PYB has both ST and MS5K beat with loads of moly and boron.

Don't forget that impossibly low NOACK on the 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back