Toyota recalls nearly 400,000 vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I am outraged!

Oh wait, I thought this was the GM thread...

It's okay. It's a Japanese brand. Nothing to see, move on.

Yawn.
smile.gif

Quote:
Toyota has now added a third recall for the day, bringing to 430,500 the number of vehicles sold in the U.S. covered by the various safety actions which involve corrosion problems, faulty brakes and defective airbag software. Including those models sold outside the United States, the three new recalls cover a total of 516,000 vehicles.

Quote:
The third recalls covers 10,500 2013 Lexus GS350 sedans. A sensing switch designed to sense when a driver has applied pressure to the brake pedal may inadvertently activate on its own, without driver input. If that happens, the car could begin to decelerate unexpectedly, and without the brake lights coming on to warn other drivers. That could lead to a rear-end collision.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/toyota-makes-it-three-recalls-in-one-day?icid=autos_5661

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Toyota recalls nearly 400,000 vehicles

I suppose they have to do something to keep up with GM.

Everyone blames the unions and the bailout for GM's woes. I wonder what the problem at Toyota is?

Originally Posted By: whip
Everyone blames the unions and the bailout for GM's woes. I wonder what the problem at Toyota is?

Me too...Toyotas ain't what they used to be...

Is 400,000 a particularly high number for a recall now or are GM fans upset and looking to take it out on anything?

As I mentioned way back when Toyota had its major "unintended acceleration" and subsequent recalls that it would spawn a new generation of recalls across all brands for many things. This is nothing new.

Anyone that says: "abcd car company ain't what it used to be" is completely oblivious to the fact that every major car company has had recalls of some kind at least once every year.

So get a grip on the new reality folks, at least there is some sort of accountability being held here and that we as consumers benefit in some way from it as compared to days of yore.

Everyone complains about recalls. When you make/sell a ton of stuff it is going to happen. May not even effect the car, but better safe than sorry. On the NHSTA website it shows the top 10 recalled cars were all Ford's and 2 General motors Big whoop the ones that were recalled are all cars that last a long time. Recall...something for the bashers on all sides to whine about, even though it is fixing something

Unintended acceleration was a joke.

It's proof that a bunch of ambulance chasing attorneys can cost you even though some guy just had a floor mat pushed up around the accelerator.

NASA and NHTSA both said there was no defect other than the recall items:

"NHTSA enlisted the support of NASA in analyzing the Toyota electronic throttle control (ETC) system to determine whether it contained any vulnerabilities that might realistically be expected to produce unintended acceleration (UA) in a consumer’s use of those vehicles. NASA did not find an electronic cause of large throttle openings that can result in UA incidents. NHTSA did not find a vehicle-based cause of those incidents in addition to those causes already addressed by Toyota recalls."

The recall service removed the driver floor mat, removed carpet padding under the accelerator, and ground off the bottom of the accelerator pedal.

I was in a Ford F-250 that suffered from "unintended acceleration." Thankfully for all those involved, I was in the passenger seat, and was able to calmly instruct the driver to put the shifter in the Neutral position before I reached down and moved the stuck floor mat.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
As I mentioned way back when Toyota had its major "unintended acceleration" and subsequent recalls that it would spawn a new generation of recalls across all brands for many things. This is nothing new.

Anyone that says: "abcd car company ain't what it used to be" is completely oblivious to the fact that every major car company has had recalls of some kind at least once every year.

So get a grip on the new reality folks, at least there is some sort of accountability being held here and that we as consumers benefit in some way from it as compared to days of yore.

I didn't say Toyotas ain't what they used to be because of the recalls (though the recalls aren't saying anything good about Toyota), I'm saying they ain't what they used to be because I've owned several over the last 20 years and I can tell you without a doubt, they aren't built as good as they used to be. My daughter's '94 Corolla (while not as nice in terms of design) was certainly built better than my '04 is. Like most, if not all of the makes, Toyota too has cheapened their products...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back