Castrol GTX vs Kendall GT1 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I don't like either one. My F150 had been ran on Kendall for many years before I got it, it's covered in sludge on the outside and the inside must be nasty because my oil gets black, and I mean BLACK, by 750 miles. Lots of cleaning up to do. GTX was used religiously in a newer engine, 3800II GM Buick Park Avenue (2000 model), 3000 mile or LESS oil changes. Front valve cover started leaking and it ended up consuming 3/4 a quart every 2500 miles.

I've used GTX a lot. Never had anything just blow up on me, but I think there are better choices out there.

If I had to pick... shew, I'd actually go with the GTX. Don't worry, either way, I wouldn't be sleeping well at night. Obviously no true science here, just what I've seen, but that's all that's posted in this thread, anyways. The base model Kendall is a synblend? Is that true? If so, I'd probably lean towards the Kendall, actually.

This is what I gather from the information you have provided. Your F150 in nearly 20 years old and who knows how the previous owner/owner's maintained it. The "sludge" you are experiencing is unlikely directly oil related.

Please do not base your purchase on a "synthetic blend" label base oil's are only a part of the formulation for a blender to meet specs.

Haha. I thought that some would get a kick out of "keeping the Tempo forever" I understand that they are a widely unloved, forgotten and unremarkable car. I used to think they were junk before I was a mechanic. I like cars from the early 90s because most have the benefit of sequential fuel injection without the headache of non-essential emissions components being monitored by the computer, ridiculous numbers of airbags, variable valve timing systems, motorized throttle plates, etc. The Tempo is very reliable, easy to work on, comfortable and rides well, and most importantly it averages between 27 and 30 mpg for my daily commute. And yes you caught me, I am a member of the forums at tempotopaz.com, lol. Thank you all for your input. I think that I will use the Kendall GT1 in the Tempo since it has such a good reputation and I will be buying it by the case for the Grand Marquis anyway. I enjoyed the video on their website with the teardown of the 100k mile NYC taxicab engines. Quite impressive.

Originally Posted By: MintFord
Haha. I thought that some would get a kick out of "keeping the Tempo forever" I understand that they are a widely unloved, forgotten and unremarkable car. I used to think they were junk before I was a mechanic. I like cars from the early 90s because most have the benefit of sequential fuel injection without the headache of non-essential emissions components being monitored by the computer, ridiculous numbers of airbags, variable valve timing systems, motorized throttle plates, etc. The Tempo is very reliable, easy to work on, comfortable and rides well, and most importantly it averages between 27 and 30 mpg for my daily commute. And yes you caught me, I am a member of the forums at tempotopaz.com, lol. Thank you all for your input. I think that I will use the Kendall GT1 in the Tempo since it has such a good reputation and I will be buying it by the case for the Grand Marquis anyway. I enjoyed the video on their website with the teardown of the 100k mile NYC taxicab engines. Quite impressive.

now you need to find yourself one with the diesel engine in it;)

Quote:
now you need to find yourself one with the diesel engine in it;)

Lol. I am intrigued by the diesel models but they are as rare as hens' teeth. Supposedly they can reach 50 mpg, but are incredibly slow (52 horsepower.) I've owned over 30 vehicles and back when the Tempo had the automatic transmission it was the 3rd slowest car ive ever owned at best. It's not bad at all now that I've done a 5 speed swap. (the other reason I want to keep it forever... it took 2 years to find a junkyard with a 5speed donor car)

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Originally Posted By: 29662
Castrol was much better before they were bought out by BP. That being said, go with whatever is cheapest. Neither of those cars will stress any API certified oil given decent OCI's.

when was castrol bought out by BP?

BP acquired Castrol in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back