Best Oil to keep Dodge 4.7 Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks -

I am on the verge of purchasing a used 2002 Dodge with the smaller 4.7 motor (V-8) and understand that some early models had PCV issues....thus potential for sludge.

Any recommendations on a oil known for good cleaning properties? I have read on RAM forums that Pennzoil does quite well.

New truck to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

GL

PYB or Pennzoil Platinum is what I'd use. Maybe run through a couple 3k mile OCIs with PYB, then go with Platinum after that with 5k mile OCIs. This is what I did with my 02 Trailblazer I bought used with 111k on the odometer.

Last edited:
You should first ensure that the crankcase ventilation system is working as intended.
You should then be able to use any current spec oil without issues.
You might want to lift a valve cover just to see what it looks like.
If there are already heavy deposits, this will tell you that at least a few short OCIs are in order, if not some more serious intervention.
The two .7s are unicorns among Chryco engines and both the 4.7 V-8 and the 2.7 V-6 had their problems.
Both have also proven to be reliable and durable in the hands of savvy owners.
You wonder why Chrysler didn't just stick with the tried and true formula, though.

I have the 4.7 in my Durango a strong and smooth engine for sure. I just run plain QSAD in it with a Mopar filter at 5k oci and she is clean as a whistle. Go to WM and $20 later i have what i need no hassle. Good luck with your Mopar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back