GDi Turbo, M1 EP if not using M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hello all,

I, like many here, own a d.i. Turbo vehicle (Hyundai in sig). Unlike the Sonata 2.0T though, my manual does not permit for a xw40 grade, only 5w and 10w30. In light of this I have decided on going with M1 EP 5w or 10w30.
How comparable is Mobil1 EP to the 0w40 at 5k mile oci's (mfr mandated)?

Darkhorses were PPPP 10w30 and EDGE EP but EDGE EP is to hard to find, and not enough is known about the PPPP yet.

Go with manufacturers recommendations while under warranty. once beyond that screw it. Id run Valvoline 15w-50 if it were mine. Kidding.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Go with manufacturers recommendations while under warranty. once beyond that screw it. Id run Valvoline 15w-50 if it were mine. Kidding.

lol. '15w-50'

That is the reason for the post. Trying to stay in-spec with a 5w30 or 10w30.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should use synthetic oil that is Honda HTO-06 approved.

M1 EP is.

You sure do like trying out new oils huh? =P Thats ok. Either PPPP 5/10w30 and M1 EP 5/10w30 are excellent oils and will serve you well. If it were my ride, and you were a short tripper I would use the PPPP 5w30 year round, if your commute is long I would use PPPP 10w30 in the summer and PPPP 5w30 in the winter. Cant to wrong with today's API SN name brand synthetics when changed at reasonable intervals.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You sure do like trying out new oils huh? =P Thats ok. Either PPPP 5/10w30 and M1 EP 5/10w30 are excellent oils and will serve you well. If it were my ride, and you were a short tripper I would use the PPPP 5w30 year round, if your commute is long I would use PPPP 10w30 in the summer and PPPP 5w30 in the winter. Cant

grin.gif
Yeah greg, in the grips of OCD. This honeymoon has lasted 11/2 years, lol. Slowly but surely I will grow out of it and decide. Thanks for understanding and more so, the advise. Everyone here is amazingly helpful. Well, almost everyone.
thumbsup2.gif
Before joining BITOG, I thought I knew so much about oil...WRONG. I feel like a kid in a candy store here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
You sure do like trying out new oils huh? =P Thats ok. Either PPPP 5/10w30 and M1 EP 5/10w30 are excellent oils and will serve you well. If it were my ride, and you were a short tripper I would use the PPPP 5w30 year round, if your commute is long I would use PPPP 10w30 in the summer and PPPP 5w30 in the winter. Cant

grin.gif
Yeah greg, in the grips of OCD. This honeymoon has lasted 11/2 years, lol. Slowly but surely I will grow out of it and decide. Thanks for understanding and more so, the advise. Everyone here is amazingly helpful. Well, almost everyone.
thumbsup2.gif
Before joining BITOG, I thought I knew so much about oil...WRONG. I feel like a kid in a candy store here.

Absolutely! I know there are so many choices out there. I keep looking for the "best" oil for my Accord, always wanting to try something new, but when I think rationally about it I realize I already have one of the BEST if not THE best US 0w20 in the sump. Eventually I think you will find that one right oil and you will stick with it...maybe
wink.gif
But this is BITOG after all.

grin.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely! I know there are so many choices out there. I keep looking for the "best" oil for my Accord, always wanting to try something new, but when I think rationally about it I realize I already have one of the BEST if not THE best US 0w20 in the sump. Eventually I think you will find that one right oil and you will stick with it...maybe
wink.gif
But this is BITOG after all.

Maybe...
05.gif
or I'll keep searching. Lol

Hello all,

I, like many here, own a d.i. Turbo vehicle (Hyundai in sig). Unlike the Sonata 2.0T though, my manual does not permit for a xw40 grade, only 5w and 10w30. In light of this I have decided on going with M1 EP 5w or 10w30.

Darkhorses were PPPP 10w30 and EDGE EP but EDGE EP is to hard to find, and not enough is known about the PPPP yet.

I'll be posting my PU 5W-30 UOA within 2 weeks, I'll also post m results from PUE 5W-40 and eventually M1 0W-40. It might help you decide
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Hello all,

I'll be posting my PU 5W-30 UOA within 2 weeks, I'll also post m results from PUE 5W-40 and eventually M1 0W-40. It might help you decide
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

You sure do like trying out new oils huh? =P Thats ok. Either PPPP 5/10w30 and M1 EP 5/10w30 are excellent oils and will serve you well. If it were my ride, and you were a short tripper I would use the PPPP 5w30 year round, if your commute is long I would use PPPP 10w30 in the summer and PPPP 5w30 in the winter. Cant to wrong with today's API SN name brand synthetics when changed at reasonable intervals.

PPPP it is.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back