black oil on dipstick confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may shorten my OCI to 3k (severe svc) and with that, switch to a conventional oil known for its cleaning properties : Formula Shell, PYB or QSGB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
we used to have silicate (pretty much sand)and that sand was literally grinding everything it could .so you ended up with sleeve with hole in them or engine block problem.no silicate fixed the issue.

I doubt that silicates had anything to do with it. A diesel engine developing holes in a sleeve, or less often the block, is caused by cavitation and not by "grinding" from silicate additives (which aren't abrasive unless kept in service twice as long as recommended.) Nitrite coolant additive packages are specifically there to inhibit cavitation damage of this type, both in silicated and non-silicated coolants.

If you want a quick visual gauge, do an oil blotter instead of the dipstick oil color test. Oil blotter tests have been discussed here. But, I'd go with recommended OCI for your use.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I can't deal with no black oil, not even in my lawn mower.

Let's all chip in and buy Merk a vehicle with an old 6.2 diesel or an old Benz diesel.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
The trucking industry made a research (beats me if it was oil filter maker or trucking tho)about particulate size and according to them,if the filter cant trap visible particulate,those visible particulate are hurtfull for the engine.my own experience?i had more engine problem because of computer wire being improperly fixed and wrong coolant then because of oil particulate size.why the coolant?on the coolant front particulate did mather .we used to have silicate (pretty much sand)and that sand was literally grinding everything it could .so you ended up with sleeve with hole in them or engine block problem.no silicate fixed the issue.oil parriculate wont be an issue very long i suspect,we ll probably move to graphene instead of todays zinc,calcium,phosphore,magnesium .molybden combo

There existed an oil years ago called Arco Graphite, but it became unpopular and was discontinued not long after introduction.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Let's all chip in and buy Merk a vehicle with an old 6.2 diesel or an old Benz diesel.

No thank you. I've been known to change directions by a whole city block to get away from those old Mercedes Benz diesels with their black soot pouring out the exhaust.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back