2014 Ford Mustang V6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanna keep warranty period happy consider dispensing with the 'aftermarket tune' until your 'stang is out of warranty period. To many horror stories of a dealer giving owner the bad news about something major not be covered because they have found record of a 'tune' in their scan of the ecm. That would be a bummer

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
If you wanna keep warranty period happy consider dispensing with the 'aftermarket tune' until your 'stang is out of warranty period. To many horror stories of a dealer giving owner the bad news about something major not be covered because they have found record of a 'tune' in their scan of the ecm. That would be a bummer

Good point.

To those that desire more HP from a Mustang, without losing warranty, look into Ford Racing performance packs. I knew a guy who bought one for his 4.0 SOHC Mustang and he loved it.

I have a '12 V6 performance package and I've used the Motorcraft and virtually identical TropArtic 5w20 syn blends quite successfully, including a trackday at Putnam Park. Mostly though I've taken advantage of my dealer's free oil changes every 5000 miles. The dealer uses some unknown bulk syn blend. The car doesn't seem to mind, whether driven hard, pulling a trailer (yes, I do that), etc. Pretty much zero oil consumption.

As for the 3.7 lacking torque, I agree it does, even with a mild tune like my car has. But that doesn't bother me much. I'm a motorcycle guy, so I know all about keeping an engine wound up. I like it. If you're too lazy or uncoordinated to properly use the gearbox, then you won't. If you're a drag racer or into hard launches away from stoplights, again, the V6 will feel a bit lacking. That's not my thing, so it doesn't bother me.

The V6 payoff is in lower insurance rates (virtually the same premiums as my '07 Focus) and much better gas mileage. My car's 3.31 rear end, big 19 inch wheels, and the E10 gas here make it impossible to hit the 29mpg EPA highway number, but 26-27 on the highway isn't too hard, even at 80-85 mph cruise speeds. A recent 750 mile round trip towing a sportbike on a single bike trailer returned 24.5mpg. Not bad.

If you like to run the car a bit, definitely get the manual gearbox, a tuner (SCT is my choice) and strongly consider an aftermarket driveshaft. The stock unit is weak and the primary reason it has such a low governed top speed from the factory. I have a one piece driveshaft from Shaftmaster and it works fine at a personally verified 150 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back