Which Oil Extractor to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a 2012 MB E350, which I'll have to maintain. I've always changed oil the old fashion way from underneath the car. But if I have to spend a lot of time and effort to remove a panel to access the drain plug I'll have to seriously consider an oil extractor.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
But when I went to change my oil last weekend, there was a major leak at the top of the shaft where the handle is attached. It made a huge mess, and I could tell that there was nothing I could do to fix it.

Same thing eventually happened to my 7400. I now use a Pela 14K.

To change oil the old fashion way you need to do these steps:

Raise the front end with floor jack
Put jack stands under the car
Remove splash guard
Remove drain plug to drain oil into a drain pan
Re-install the drain plug 20-30 minutes later
Re-install splash guard
Remove jack stands
Lower the car and remove floor jack

You need these parts: floor jack, jack stands and drain pan to do oil change conventional way.

If you use a fluid extractor to do oil change in a MB, all you need to do is insert suction hose into the dipstick tube and connect that tube into a main tube then into the pump and pump 10-12 times. In less than 15 minutes used oil will be siphoned out of the engine.

I guess I'm old fashioned, just like pulling the drain plug. I feel better about it. I have used an extractor in a boat due to the drain plug location, 2 inches above hull in the boat. I have a lift, I'm spoiled. If it works, it works.

Thought I'd resurrect this ancient thread to see if anyone has any updated experience with the Mityvac 7201. I'm considering getting one since 3 of the 5 vehicles I service have a topside cartridge oil filter.
Thanks in advance for the input.

The 7400 has less capacity than 7201. Also, the pump of the 7400 is inside the reservoir/container while it's outside on the 7201 so it's less prone to fail.

If the engine is design to use a fluid extractor likes MB engines and has cartridge oil filter on top, then Mityvac 7201 isperfect tool for it. I use 7201 to change oil(and ATF and Brake Bleeding) in my cars for more than 10 years. It paid itself off long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back