need your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L v6, 100k miles on it. I switch jobs so now I will be driving this truck 2 miles to the train station to take the metrolink to work. That's 4 short miles per day on the truck. When the truck was being driven 26 miles per day, I was using whatever 5w30 or 10w30 was on sale, mostly syn blend, no issues. I'm thinking continue with the same oils and change it once a year. I'm thinking no more than 1500 miles will be put on the truck per year (work and running errands). Your thought on oil?

honestly your plan sounds solid.
why change what works just b/c some yahoo's on the interwebz said so.
my
49.gif

Last edited:
Only 2 miles to train station then park there for 8-10 hours and another 2 miles back home is too short a drive.

Either you need to drive that truck on longer distance on weekend to burn off gas/water condensation in the engine and change oil once a year, or change your oil in 6 months if no longer distance driving on weekend.

Put in the Pennzoil yellow bottle or equivalent and change it every year or two. Many farm trucks have lasted a long time on less maint than that.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Put in the Pennzoil yellow bottle or equivalent and change it every year or two.

You're talkin' sludge city right there...

The s10 is paid for, an electric car would be great for this but I don't want a $500+ car payment.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L v6, 100k miles on it. I switch jobs so now I will be driving this truck 2 miles to the train station to take the metrolink to work. That's 4 short miles per day on the truck. When the truck was being driven 26 miles per day, I was using whatever 5w30 or 10w30 was on sale, mostly syn blend, no issues. I'm thinking continue with the same oils and change it once a year. I'm thinking no more than 1500 miles will be put on the truck per year (work and running errands). Your thought on oil?

Using the same oil and shortening your interval =
thumbsup2.gif

IMO a UOA at 6 months is a good idea, as is a longer drive every week or two to get it nice and hot

Put in the Pennzoil yellow bottle or equivalent and change it every year or two. Many farm trucks have lasted a long time on less maint than that.

Exactly.. I have a beater that gets less then 2k/yr. I change the oil when it is ~a qt. low. Usually about 5000 miles. Car has over 230k on it. No sludge, runs great.

YMMV

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Put in the Pennzoil yellow bottle or equivalent and change it every year or two.

You're talkin' sludge city right there...

He says he will put 1500 miles a year on it. NO WAY that motor will get sludged up with yearly oil changes. Even 2 year interval would be fine.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO a UOA at 6 months is a good idea, as is a longer drive every week or two to get it nice and hot

Tell me you are joking. The car is worth $1500 or so. You would spend money to do a UOA on oil with 750 miles on it?

This site is RIDICULOUS sometimes. Just change the oil annually and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Would you be interested in a chevrolet sparks electric?(400 pound/feet of torque ,perfect for your use

No, he said he would not be interested. His car is paid off and is perfect for what he needs.

Go for a 20 min+ drive every now and then and you'll be fine.

I get lazy and drive to work more often than I should (~2mi), but put plenty of miles on my cars for weekend trips, so I never consider the short trips a factor.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Go for a 20 min+ drive every now and then and you'll be fine.

I get lazy and drive to work more often than I should (~2mi), but put plenty of miles on my cars for weekend trips, so I never consider the short trips a factor.

I agree, I will make sure I or my wife or my kid uses the truck on the weekend. Thanks

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Tell me you are joking. The car is worth $1500 or so. You would spend money to do a UOA on oil with 750 miles on it?

This site is RIDICULOUS sometimes. Just change the oil annually and you will be fine.

Yes, yes it is ridiculous! I agree yearly is more than sufficient.

But I'd do the UOA for the curiosity factor alone.

Last edited:
1500 miles per year? Change it every two years. It's a 4.3 - it will run fine on anything. I'd use SuperTech 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back