Pacifica V6; M1 5W-30EP; 16K OCI; 82K drivetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, coworkers car. I thought he said it was a 3.4 MB engine, but perhaps not. Wikipedia says 3.5L Chrysler; I will ask tomorrow; not even sure if it is a 2004 at this point

Lab is B-S; oil was in use 17 months; 3qts make up.

Quote:

THOMAS: You listed this engine as a MB 3.4 liter, but the Pacifica only came in one trim model in 2004. Universal averages show typical wear for a 3.5L Chrysler engine after about 5,000 miles on the oil. Lead was the only metal that read out of line, showing some excess bearing wear. It could be a temporary particle streak, and if that's the case, lead should read lower next time. Other metals look pretty good after a 16,000-mile oil run. The TBN was good at 3.2 since a reading of 1.0 is too low. The TAN shows some acidity at 6.9. Try 16K miles again and check back on lead.

He lives only a few miles from work. I think the 3 qts saved his bacon on TBN, but I indicated before the test came in "just do it once a year", he lost track of time and let it run long. I think he'll be on the 1 year plan from now on.

Al 9
Cr 2
Fe 34
Cu 14
Pb 23
Sn 0
Moly 82
Ni 2
Mn 1
Ag 0
Ti 0
K 3
Boron 44
Si 7
Na 14
Ca 1160
Mg 885
P 709
Zn 874
Barium 0

Sus @ 210F 59.3
Cst @100C 10.01
Flash 430F
Fuel < .5%
Gly/H20 0
Insol .3
TBN 3.2;

Filter was M1 201

Last edited:
The only Chrysler that ever used an MB engine was the Crossfire. The Pacifica had either the 3.5 or later on the 4.0. No other choices.

If the lead doesn't go down he'll need to shorten the changes. I'd suggest Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 once a year if the lead wasn't a fluke. If the lead goes down carry on and call it every 15k.

Isn't M1 EP "guaranteed" for 15k?
I guess that the guarantee isn't meant to be subjected to a UOA.
Even with three quarts of makeup oil, this UOA does nothing to inspire confidence in M1 EP.
I'm not just thinking of the wear metals.
Calcium and moly both look seriously depleted.
Imagine how much worse all of this might look without the adds.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I guess that the guarantee isn't meant to be subjected to a UOA.
Even with three quarts of makeup oil, this UOA does nothing to inspire confidence in M1 EP.
I'm not just thinking of the wear metals.
Calcium and moly both look seriously depleted.

No, its not depleted, this is the EP version, it uses a mix of CA/MG instead of the normal high dose of CA. It actually is higher than the last VOA.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2260688

Quote:

or 1 years. Oil was in almost 1 1/2.

I acknowledge the sentiment of your post, but all things considered, I expected much worse results. Frankly although not stellar, the UOA seems to indicate that, at least with EP, even with a severe use of the oil, it generally protects well.

Quote:

Word.

Last edited:
The Pb and Cu are a concern.
It's not time to panic, but careful tracking and consideration are in order here.

Together they suggest a traditional bearing issue. Generally, Pb and Cu would drop and hold steady over an extended OCI, whereas Fe is expected to increase with exposure. But here we see Pb over 1ppm/1k miles and Cu just under 1ppm/1k miles; that's higher than I'd expect.

Could just be a bearing particle streak that will subside with future OCIs. Need to watch it and see. Again - no panic; just due diligence in observation at this point.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The only Chrysler that ever used an MB engine was the Crossfire. The Pacifica had either the 3.5 or later on the 4.0. No other choices.

It is correct that the Pacifica never used a Mercedes engine, but there was an additional engine option through 2006: the OHV 3.8L V-6. I don't know if the M1-201 is used on the 3.8L, though.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Maybe so.
Moly is still depleted.

Wait what? Moly levels in motor oil deplete over usage interval?

Metallic additive concentrations do not appreciably change as an oil is used in an engine. The only measured additive element that I've seen usually appreciably change (decrease) is boron. The moly and calcium levels are consistent with a typical UOA of this oil. Magnesium detergents complement the calcium detergents.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Maybe so.
Moly is still depleted.

Wait what? Moly levels in motor oil deplete over usage interval?

Metallic additive concentrations do not appreciably change as an oil is used in an engine. The only measured additive element that I've seen usually appreciably change (decrease) is boron. The moly and calcium levels are consistent with a typical UOA of this oil. Magnesium detergents complement the calcium detergents.

That's what I thought thus the confusion by fdcg27's comment.

I guess I'll have to hit a few VOAs as well as UOAs for the same oil.
I'm pretty sure that moly levels drop with miles run as does calcium.

Am I mistaken in thinking that this 3.5 is part of the family of engines that were terrible for sludging and very hard on oil? Like the 2.7's in the Dodge Stratus or 3.5's in the Intrepid? Is this that engine family?

If so... those engines are probably some of the most brutal on oil. Every single one I've seen the inside of looked TERRIBLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back