Energy Conserving oil for Saab 9-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2003 9-3 (2.0T) with 170k miles. It has been well maintained and looks like it got M1 0w40 for most of it's life. I'm comfortable using M1 0w40 which is one of the few available oils that meets gm-ll-a-025, but it's not labeled as energy conserving. I'd like to maximize my mileage, but don't want to hurt longevity. I've read that Dexos1 supersedes gm-ll-a-025, which is available in a 5w30. Would this be a wise move? I'm used to my 3800s which will run on [censored] near anything, this is all new to me.

Your Saab has been using one of the best oils Mobil makes (IMO).
I don't think you'll see a perceptible difference in mileage by switching, so I recommend continuing with the 0W40.

I don't believe a 40wt energy conserving oil exists. I believe that's by definition of the energy conserving label.

Regardless, if your Saab wants a 40wt, there's nothing better than the M1 0W-40 from what I have read.

I would guess that the fuel savings from a lighter/energy conserving oil would be negligible anyway.

The best energy conserving oil is the oil that lubricates the best. A lower viscosity oil doesn't always make a better lubricant; it depends on the engine and its specific lubricative needs.

What does owner manual say ?

Yes, if you go down 1 grade you will get better fuel economy, probably around 2-3% or less.

M1 0W40 is 1 of the best 40 weight synthetic oil you can find it anywhere, it isn't too thick so it can be used all year long.

Many turbo engines call for heavier oil to protect the engine bearings from the added pressures of turbocharging, and others call for heavier oil so that the heat of the turbo doesn't thin the oil too much.

I would keep using the M1 0w40.

There is one oil lighter than M1 0w40 that might work well, it would be Castrol European formula 0w30. It doesn't carry an energy conserving label, it is at the thick end of the XXw30 viscosity range, almost an XXw40.

The owners manual calls for 0W-30 in case the OP decides to go that route.

He may pick up 0.5 miles per gallon at the expense of a 50% increase in iron particle count.
grin.gif

A turbo Saab ain't a GM 3.8 V-6.
I'd be inclined to stay with M1 0W-40.
If you want a slightly thinner oil GC would also do well in this engine.
A thinner oil will not offer you any measurable improvement in fuel economy, so don't even worry about that.
It should be reassuring that the car has had a proper Euro oil for most of its life.
Maybe everything else has also been well looked after?

T-Keith - Stick with your Mobil 1 0w-40. It's a fantastic product and approved against your vehicle. I also take care of a Saab, and Mobil 1 0w-40 is the only thing I put in it.

MPG requirements is one of the criteria manufactures have when they set specifications. I know Mercedes-Benz 229.5 has a fuel economy component to its specification and Mobil 1 0w-40 meets 229.5. Of course, I don't know how stringent the fuel economy requirement is, but you can rest assured that just because it's a 40 weight oil, Mobil and the manufacturers (including Saab at the time) aren't willing to give up all thoughts of economy.

Plus, with a turbo engine, M1 0w-40 thins down a bit in just a couple hundred miles, so it's not so massively thicker than something else you might run anyway. Keep using one of the best, Mobil 1 0w-40!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back