SRT Hellcat officially announced yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who haven't heard yet:

http://www.drivesrt.com/2015/challenger-srt-hellcat/

Pretty much all the rumors that had been floating are confirmed. Not surprising- 6.2 (not 6.4) liters, supercharged and intercooled, with a rating somewhere north of 600 horses, 6-piston Brembo front brakes, hood design, revised splitter, P-zero tire package, 6-speed manual and 8-speed automatic transmission options, etc. Much more surprising and very cool that it carried over from the test "mules:" cold air intake through one of the turn signal assemblies.

If the Hellcat drivetrain is later offered in the Charger SRT, it will become the most powerful 4-door sedan sold in north America edging out the AMG E63, CTS-V, and XFR-S which are all clustered in the 550-horsepower zone. Then it'll become a Milton Berle game with horsepower ratings ("I only take out enough to win...")
smile.gif

Fantastic looking Dodge that should perform at or near the top of all measured performance testing, and qualify as an instant collectors item. Not to mention, my favorite muscle car followed closely by the Shelby 'Stang. Sweet, thanks for sharing.

i really like the new rear end. they could have made strides though with it losing weight versus the MERICA endless reach of horsepower.

I absolutely love the engine and manual transmission. But it is not the most powerful 4 door as it seems to have two doors only.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I absolutely love the engine and manual transmission. But it is not the most powerful 4 door as it seems to have two doors only.

He was fantasizing about this being put in a Charger sedan.

I was convinced that FIAT was going to ruin Chrysler and we'd be stuck with nothing but junky Euro-trash econo-boxes. This is one of those times I'm very glad to be wrong.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: rjundi

He was fantasizing about this being put in a Charger sedan.

May be more than fantasy- up to this point the Charger and Challenger SRT and R/T drivelines have been identical with the exception of the availability of the manual trans in the Challenger. It could go either way- they could offer all the same engines but only with automagic trans in the Charger, or they could reserve the Hellcat only for the Challenger. Time will tell, and the SRT brand/badge is going through some changes being re-absorbed into Dodge this year anyway so it could get a little extra interesting.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks nice but it should be lighter

Lots of people say that, but for me the extra heft was part of the appeal. The Mustang is fantastic and is a lot lighter, but the Challenger is SUCH a much more comfortable long-haul road car. I think at least some of that comes from the fact that its bigger, not just the suspension setup. Its actually closer to the Charger's real roots (a MID-sized 2-door muscle car) whereas the current Mustang is closer to its own roots as well as the original Challenger, Camaro/Firebird, and the Barracuda (especially the first-gen A-body Barracuda). Those were all not exactly compact cars, but smaller and lighter than the Charger, GTO, Torino, Chevelle, and the like.

What I'd love to see is a real "Super Bee" package for the Challenger that's more than paint and stripes- actually take the car and strip out heavy stuff to make it an honest 500 lbs lighter than a standard Challenger. That way the people who really want that could get it.

Quote:
New P275/40ZR20 Pirelli P Zero Nero tires (front and rear) provide all-season traction while the newest tire technology from Pirelli includes the class exclusive four-season tire that is Y-Plus rated to handle the extreme speeds. Pirelli P Zero tires are available for three-season performance driving.

Meh not my cup of tea, I don't like the chopped look.

How come no carbon ceramic brakes like the on the Camaro? No active suspension either?

When are they going to come out with new cars vs just updating drive lines?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back