XOM -Mobil 1 Lubricants Technology & Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

ExxonMobil Announces Mobil 1 Lubricants Technology Relationship for Chevrolet Corvette

Quote:
Chevrolet recommends Mobil 1 5W-30 for service-fill oil changes and Mobil 1 15W-50 for track events and competitive driving

I would think that they would suggest the 0W-40, or even the hard to find 5W-50 before jumping all the way up to the 15W-50 for open tracking/road course use.
21.gif

Have the direct injected LT1s been seriously shearing/diluting oil, and running that hot during track events to cause them to suggest something this thick??

Given that the 5W-50 starts with a basestock lighter than a 10W-40, I can see why they want the 15W-50 for high performance, because it at least starts as a 15W (*)

And the technically correct way for them to proceed with this engine is to cut the power output as the 5W-30 is MORE than adequate, in fact it's generally too thick (*)

(*) these are all things that I've learned here...

actually 15W-50 makes a fair bit of sense on the track.

Seems like a weird recommendation to me. Skipping a grade, then recommending a blend with 1200ppm of zddp. Are they not worried about the catalysts? Maybe they figure cats are cheaper than engines. Or that they have such low oil consumption that it's not a concern.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that the 5W-50 starts with a basestock lighter than a 10W-40, I can see why they want the 15W-50 for high performance, because it at least starts as a 15W (*)

And the technically correct way for them to proceed with this engine is to cut the power output as the 5W-30 is MORE than adequate, in fact it's generally too thick (*)

(*) these are all things that I've learned here...

actually 15W-50 makes a fair bit of sense on the track.

EPIC WIN!!! LMAO!!!
grin.gif

LOLOL

I'd probably just use M1 0w40 in a new Vette. Even the stock engine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 should be the FF on all worldwide vehicles.

I wouldn't argue with you there at all...it could be all oils to all people, and maybe that would bring it down in price too !

However, I've also learned on BITOG that I'm a M1 0W-40 hater...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 should be the FF on all worldwide vehicles.

I wouldn't argue with you there at all...it could be all oils to all people, and maybe that would bring it down in price too !

However, I've also learned on BITOG that I'm a M1 0W-40 hater...

How can you hate M1 0w40? I thought everyone loved it. I have considered using it in some of my 5w30 applications.

No, in spite of it being one of my faves, I've been constantly accused of hating it when it suits certain people's arguments.

Are ALL of the new, even base C7 LT1s dry sump, or just the new Z06 (like in the old C6 days, which included the ZR1 and Grand Sport {track option} as well)?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Are ALL of the new, even base C7 LT1s dry sump, or just the new Z06 (like in the old C6 days, which included the ZR1 and Grand Sport {track option} as well)?
21.gif

The Z51 option adds the dry sump, while non Z51 cars have the wet sump. The new Z will also have the dry sump.

Seems like a good recommendation. My car is spec'd for 15w-50 by a TSB from the ole SRT boys. Seems oil squirters can make a lot of noise sometimes, especially when paired with a hugely oversized oil pump. 15w-50 can quiet them down on some cars, never made a lick of difference on mine, but I ran both the M1 and Dominator flavors at several track events back in 06 and 07.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
21.gif

The Z51 option adds the dry sump, while non Z51 cars have the wet sump. The new Z will also have the dry sump.

Thanks Patman.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back