different gas give better mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed I have been using synoco gas reg for 12 years, the other day in a pinch I filled up with Hess and the gas mileage is better , is this true with a different brand of gas ?

No but they use ethanol in fuel in the winter in some states which yields slightly less MPG.

My wife and I see consistently better MPG in our Civics from Marathon/ Kangaroo, Wilco/ Hess, and Mobil stations. Maybe less ethanol than others. BTW we both keep gas logs for my amusement/ OCD.

Originally Posted By: Archtop_Picker
My wife and I see consistently better MPG in our Civics from Marathon/ Kangaroo, Wilco/ Hess, and Mobil stations. Maybe less ethanol than others. BTW we both keep gas logs for my amusement/ OCD.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Summer has just arrived here so maybe there is some truth in the amount of ethanol

I have noticed this too! But, then it changes again
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i get about 10% better mileage with Costco or Chevron over Am/PM gas. I have tracked it over many different times and its real.

now that's good so 30 MPG becomes 33 MPG OK

Probably the ethanol?never noticed on my car so wouldnt know,on the truck tho ,the bio part has 135000btu (approx)compared ultra low sulfer diesel 140000 (approx)so ya it change a bit.what i do know is bio or etanol are hard on parts (yep too clean,never taught i would say this lol)the likly culprit is bad gas station (old)or it isnt selling a lot of gas.if gas or diesel stay too long a film appear yellowish (mainly on biodiesel and or ethanol gas (15% for exemple)ya its the shelf life ,so stick to place that sell a lot and you should be fine.if you can stay away from ethanol gas,(sorry south carolina and georgia,might not be possible)

Sometimes I fill up at some obscure station off the interstate and get horrible mileage per the calculation at that particular fill. I am certain that some pumps are deliberately tweaked out of calibration to deliver something less than the measured gallon.

No pump is perfectly accurate and they're supposed to be calibrated annually to within some tolerance. I don't know what the tolerance is though.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Sometimes I fill up at some obscure station off the interstate and get horrible mileage per the calculation at that particular fill. I am certain that some pumps are deliberately tweaked out of calibration to deliver something less than the measured gallon.

No pump is perfectly accurate and they're supposed to be calibrated annually to within some tolerance. I don't know what the tolerance is though.

In NY the officials show up unannounced and dispense 1 gallon into a graduated container and you are fined if its off. But stations should be doing that on their own so they are on the mark when the officials come.

My boat club had a gas pump with a 100' gas line in the sun and had a relief to push gas back into the tank if the pressure got too high because of the sun. There were times the relief was not working well, and the customer was being charged a dime just for the pump to be turned on.

The ethanol is added to the tank by the delivery truck. Cost less than gas, so the station has more profit the more tax dollar subsidized ethanol they add to their tanks. It's a calculated guess as to how much E goes in on top of the gas in the ground tank. You could be getting 14% or 6% E, who knows. With E-free, you know what you are getting.
pure-gas.org is your friend... Here we are seeing more stations each year offering E-free as their mig-grade88.

Unfortunately, most people insert too many variables into their routine to determine beyond a doubt, that one brand of gas provides better mileage than another.

One recent trip that I took would be good test. Leave home, drive 300 miles to destination.

Then fill up, and drive home. The same route, the same day, the same speed, in the same car.

And this even inserts variables as I filled up at a different gas pump in Ohio. The gas nozzle could have shut off earlier or later than the gas nozzle that I filled up with in Illinois... there could have been more or less wind in the morning, than in the evening... there was still some gas in the tank from the other gas station when I refilled in Ohio...

But, whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy... I'm all for it!

I use Chevron most.
One vehicle (my DD) has had nothing but Chevron since I bought it a year ago (over 32k miles since).
Other two I'd say over 95% Chevron. Shell, 76 now and then & once Tesoro (was out of town).
So I don't have enough info.
My previous DD, I know a few times I tried the on base station and it didn't like it. So I been good avoiding it with my current DD.

For whatever reason, I seem to get my best mileage here out of Esso premium (G requires premium, as did the Audi), which is E0. There are other E0 premiums here, too.

Nonetheless, I'd never be able to prove it in a statistically significant fashion. I get Petro-Canada fuel two cents a litre cheaper anyway, so that muddies the waters further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back