Which AR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine is thinking of buying an AR and has noticed a S&W's M&P 15 is $550 on some website. Another site has new/with warranty Adam's Arms AR with factory blemishes for $599, which is less than 1/2 the price of new unblemished ones.

This has piqued my interest, too. This would be 100% for fun, nothing serious.

What are your opinions? Which would you buy? Myself, I'd lean towards the AA due to the piston mechanism for a tad more money.
Thanks.

Among the many AR's I have, the S&W Sport is a great rifle. Only thing missing on it is the forward assist and dust cover, which if you are just playing, you'll probably never miss either.

Buy the S&W or check out Palmetto.I built a 20" A4 clone with a Palmetto upper receiver and it's been a great shooter. My S&W has been a great rifle too.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
A friend of mine is thinking of buying an AR and has noticed a S&W's M&P 15 is $550 on some website. Another site has new/with warranty Adam's Arms AR with factory blemishes for $599, which is less than 1/2 the price of new unblemished ones.

This has piqued my interest, too. This would be 100% for fun, nothing serious.

What are your opinions? Which would you buy? Myself, I'd lean towards the AA due to the piston mechanism for a tad more money.
Thanks.
I'd get the $900 Colts being advertised. And why would you lean towards the piston? You like adding proprietary parts and complexity?

In a rifle intended just for plinking/fun, I would avoid a more complex piston (like Adams) and stick with direct impingement. If budget is primary, then the M&P model you mention (without dust cover, etc.) is fine. Another similar value-priced AR is the DPMS Sportical, for about the same money.

Before your friend gets his heart set on one gun or another, make certain that your LGS, or FFL, is will to handle the transaction, and for what fee. You might find (as I have) that it's just cheaper to buy one from your local gun shop off the rack. For the Colt that was recommended, I think Hatt's referring to the LE6920 without all the fancy stuff, that's a quality gun, a step up in price, and Walmart, Bass Pro shops and others carry it.

For something a bit below the Colt in price, but still mil-spec and well-made, I happened to stop by this shop the other day: http://armsroom.com/ They're near Orlando, FL and a start up. Good value for what you get in their models. Nice folks at the counter, and they offer a discount for military/le/first responders...

Last edited:
Everyone makes decent ARs for blasting at the range. Figure out your budget and try to maximize the gun you can get. The one thing I wouldn't do is get caught up in this piston stuff. If you're not dealing with SBRs and suppressors it's totally useless. It's usefulness is debatable with SBR and suppressors. What are the chances you'll be able to buy parts in 20 years for your low production number piston setup? Who knows. We know as long as we're able to buy gun parts milspec AR parts are going to be everywhere.

The Adams Arms piston gun is a solid value at $599. They sell just the upper for $575, so its like getting the lower for $25. You do have to factor in an optic or sights to that price. Sights will set you back at least $100 and up to $200, depending on what you buy. If you go the optic route, the cheapest quality optic that wont fall apart on you is a Primary Arms or Vortex red dot. Those will set you back $100-$150.

The Smith & Wesson sport comes with sights is ready to shoot out of the box, and is a solid value.

My best advice? Buy the Colt 6920 for $899 on sale right now from Palmetto State Armory. Buy once, cry once is my mantra. It'll do everything the others will, but has a higher resale value and better quality components. Plus it makes a great SHTF gun if law and order breaks down. Top it off with an Aimpoint Pro red dot when funds become available ($360-$400) and you will have a solid, dependable weapon that you can be proud of.

As far as piston vs direct gas impingement (DI), the DI is lighter, has less parts to break/replace, works perfectly fine and is the standard which makes getting parts much easier. Piston vents the gas at the gas block instead of the action, so they generally stay very cool and lubed longer. It's not really a pro or a con in a sense since DI are just as reliable. Just realize that AR's like to run really wet and work better when run really wet and re-lubricated often.

Palmetto State Armory runs EXCELLENT sales often. You can get their complete $150 lower and one of their premium uppers (around $399 to $499) and have a mil-spec quality weapon with a high grade FN or FN hammer forged barrel. That would be a good choice too. You have to check their website often as some items go in stock and out of stock several times a day.

PSA lower $149
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...o-magazine.html

PSA premium complete upper $419
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

Thanks for the info!

I did a bit of research as well and see that the piston system isn't the best choice for what we'd be doing. My friend seemed hung up on the "low price of an AR" rather than seeing if it actually is a good buy or for a tad bit more $$ get a better gun.

I've bought several inexpensive ARs and don't fret at all. True mil-spec made ARs have parts interchangeability that will ensure function long past my life expires; interchangeability makes the whole "worn out" thing a non-issue.

Most inexpensive ARs will not have chrome lined BCGs and barrels. No issue there, as they are easily replaced when worn out. Buy a "cheap" gun (not poorly made, but inexpensive) and shoot it until the accuracy degrades, and then stick a new chrome barrel and/or bolt carrier in it. Viola! New gun effect for a low investment. And anything that would break along the way is cheap and easy to fix from the bazillions of parts out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Among the many AR's I have, the S&W Sport is a great rifle. Only thing missing on it is the forward assist and dust cover, which if you are just playing, you'll probably never miss either.

One thing I should add, while I own a lot of AR's, I have just recently gotten into AK's. They are cheaper to buy, will shoot the cheapest ammo you can find (and 7.62 is cheaper than 223/556 to start) and while not as accurate as an AR, for playing around they are a blast. Even cheaper to buy and just as much fun are my Hi-Point Carbines. I have them in 9mm and 45.

ARs are cheaper than AKs these days. 7.62x39 is cheaper but unless you're stockpiling you can't go on that. A Russian import ban would push it's price sky high since almost none is made here.

Originally Posted By: hatt
ARs are cheaper than AKs these days. 7.62x39 is cheaper but unless you're stockpiling you can't go on that. A Russian import ban would push it's price sky high since almost none is made here.

I have and AR chambered in 7.62x39.

Originally Posted By: hatt

While AR's are coming down in price, comparing entry level to entry level, the AK's are still cheaper. And plenty of 7.62x39 is made in other countries then Russia.

Cheapest AKs I see are $550+. I can build a very nice AR for less that'll be just as reliable, more ergonomic, and more accurate. And steel cased .223 isn't that much more than 7.62x39. In normal times they're about equal. If you're worried about shooting cheap you have to go 5.45x39.

Buying N-Paps in the low to mid $400 range now. You are talking building, I'm talking buying complete, apples to apples I said. Most of my AR's, especially the higher end ones are a little pickier about ammo, especially low end ammo, while my AK's will shoot rocks shaped like ammo.
You are correct about one thing, my AR's are all more accurate then my AK's, but for plinking, it doesnt matter.

Link to the $400ish N-Paps? You can buy a complete upper and complete lower for $500 at PSA. That's close enough.

You're probably right about AKs shooting anything. ARs with proper sized gas ports are probably going to be finicky with low quality under pressure ammo.

I bought 2 from FrontRangeArmorydotcom when they had them on special, but all the usual players have them, Grabagun, Lambo's..etc.
Dont get me wrong, when the SHTF I'm grabbing my AR's first, just a beautiful rifle from Core15, but I was just throwing out options for those just looking to plink and play.

I have a Colt M-4, and my brother has a Bushmaster M-4. I like them both about the same. Both have been flawless shooting. Don't sell yourself short, though. I would get the best one I can afford. If you're like me, I keep my guns forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back