Stopping Rust????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Honda Civic with 130,000 miles that is mechanically in good shape. Sadly, the previous owner neglected the paint and after several Chicago winters I have a few rust spots on one door. Is there anyway I can stop or slow down the rust? I was thinking about getting some Rustoleum Prevent Rust spray bottles but fear the damage is already done. I know rust spreads and after this brutal winter it has.
frown.gif

If the rust is coming from behind (not surface rust) there's not much you can to do stop it or slow it down. Tried that with the rear quarter panels in my Integra and it came back with a vengeance, even after using a rust inhibitor. I think what you'd have to do is physically cut out the section that is rusting after sanding the area to make sure you get the entire area that's rusted, even what's not bubbling through yet. Then, you'd have to weld in a new section of metal. What might be easier is to try to find a rust-free door instead, though the paint may not match exactly unless you blend it just right.

Pull the door panel and coat the inside of the area with fluid film ? That seemed to slow it down on my gmc.

Last edited:
Wow, a fourteen year old car in the heart of the rust belt showing a little damage?
Who would have thought it?
Seriously though, if you have some dimples at the bottom of the doors, remove the interior panels (usually easy with a Honda), clean everything well, including the drain holes, scrape off any loose rust and then apply a couple of coats of a rusty metal primer.
On the outside, do the same, although a latex rusty metal primer will be better here, since it won't be solvent in the rattle can body color you can then apply.
Do this and you should be able to hold the rust at bay for some years.

I didn't think of that when writing my initial post, but if you can get behind where the rust is coming from and treat both sides properly, that should keep it at bay without having to weld in new metal.

The best stuff is Krown or CarWell. You can order CarWell from the company. Fluid Film is good but people have mentioned it does not last as long at Krown or CarWell. There products are made to soak through the rust and protect the metal that is left.

When they do my vehicles with CarWell they use a long wand and spray into body cavities and inside the door.

No knowledge with Rust Check.

As people have mentioned the stuff will slow or stop new rust from the inside. However if the rust is now exposed on the outside you may need to deal with that also.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The best stuff is Krown or CarWell. You can order CarWell from the company. Fluid Film is good but people have mentioned it does not last as long at Krown or CarWell. There products are made to soak through the rust and protect the metal that is left.

When they do my vehicles with CarWell they use a long wand and spray into body cavities and inside the door.

No knowledge with Rust Check.

As people have mentioned the stuff will slow or stop new rust from the inside. However if the rust is now exposed on the outside you may need to deal with that also.

according to the canadian military Corrosion Free is the best stuff

I do my own rust proofing. 14 Canadian winters and no rust yet. My frame is like new if I scrape the oil coating off.

Last edited:
Any spray grease or fish oil will soak into the rust and then set, preventing further oxidization and hopefully stopping the spread of the rust.
Even a few generous coats of WD-40 every few months should stop rust in its tracks

I've been trying FF for a bit now. I think it washes off kinda easy. On the flip side, if you buy it in the spraycan, it's dirt easy to spray some on whenever you do a tire rotation.

FF is pretty well documented on this website, along with some others. In response to supton, yes that seems to be the consensus which I why I use the FF on nooks/crannies/crossmembers and other hidden type areas and a different type of coating on exposed areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back