Tranfer case nv273 takes ATF4 plus , othere fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive talked to a few other people who are filling there transfer cases with 5w-30 ?

I know the nv273 takes ATF 4. it cant be good to fill with 5w-30 but why ?

Also whats a better thing to put in the transfer case so i can give the people i work with some better info ?

If it is spec'd for ATF+4, use only that. Engine oil and transmission fluid are 2 completely different things.

ATF+4 has a proprietary additive package and if that is what it specs that is what you should use. The friction modifiers in atf+4 are not the same as motor oil or any other transmission fluid.

On another note all atf+4 is the same if it's licensed and on the list. Don't waste your money on name brand the Supertech or Autozone brand will do, whatever is cheaper.

http://centerforqa.com/chrysler/licensed-atf4-brands

yea it not me who is pouring 5w-30 in their truck. im going to buy some Amsoil for all things in my truck.

i heard the person at work said he was doing it to protect it more. tried and explaine that's not right but didn't come off well

If it takes ATF+4, the only better things I can think of are Amsoil universal and Redline C+.

Wet clutches need the correct friction modifiers, and you will not find them in engine oil.

NV273 doesn't use wet clutches. I would think 5W30 is probably fine in this application. The NP203 in trucks of old specced both ATF and 5W30. I drained the ATF out of the NP208 my 84 Bronco years ago for motor oil, It all but stopped the howling in 4low.
2632.jpg

Last edited:
ATF+4 is a rather good gearoil, probably should make the GL4
spec if tested.
No passcar oil can do that...
It takes just 2 q so dont cheap out on it.
But do change it, the fluids usually looks rather nasty when you drain it.
- Make sure you have loosen the drain plug first so you can refill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back