Mobil 1 vs Kendall full synthetic 09 SLK55 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing oil and oil filter in a Mercedes is very easy if you have the right tools, you don't need to raise the front to drain the oil, with a fluid extractor you can siphon used oil from the engine via dipstick tube.

With correct end-cap wrench you can remove the oil filter holder on top of the engine to change the cartridge oil filter.

Changing oil and filter in a Mercedes with right tools can be done in less than 30 minutes with dress cloth.

Originally Posted By: Andyslk
Thanks for all the responses!

The oil was actually a 5W-30, not 10W-30 as I originally posted. Here is a link to the Kendall Euro oil spec: Kendall.

As you can tell, I know absolutely zero about oil. Can't tell you the difference between a 229.5 vs 229.51, that is the reason I came to this site.

My car was at this service shop called Wheel Works getting new tires. Service guy noticed that I was coming due on an oil change and offered to change my oil. Told me they only use manufactured recommended oil. Long story short, I notice that my oil temp was about 3-4C hotter than normal...which prompted me to do some research and I found this website.

Thanks to your advice, I have decided to drain the oil and put Mobil 1 0W-40 today.

One advice, those fast oil change shops, they do not know anything. If they see Mercedes-Benz on bottle, they think that can go to AMG and FEDEX Sprinter.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses!

The oil was actually a 5W-30, not 10W-30 as I originally posted. Here is a link to the Kendall Euro oil spec: Kendall.

As you can tell, I know absolutely zero about oil. Can't tell you the difference between a 229.5 vs 229.51, that is the reason I came to this site.

My car was at this service shop called Wheel Works getting new tires. Service guy noticed that I was coming due on an oil change and offered to change my oil. Told me they only use manufactured recommended oil. Long story short, I notice that my oil temp was about 3-4C hotter than normal...which prompted me to do some research and I found this website.

Thanks to your advice, I have decided to drain the oil and put Mobil 1 0W-40 today.

You have a fantastic car. Enjoy it. M1 0w-40 is the perfect choice. Also, you can get Mann oil filters on Amazon which are the same as the Mercedes branded filters.

Don't worry about the oil they put in there for the short time. It won't last as long as it's intended for a diesel engine. However, for 3k miles or so, it wouldn't hurt anything.

I recently switch from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30 in my AMG SLK55. I'm noticing that my engine oil is running roughly 3-4C hotter than with the mobil 1. With Mobil 1 im at 100C to 103C. Now I'm running around 103C to 106C. Does anyone know if this 3-4C difference is enough to be of concern? Should I switch back to Mobil 1?

Thanks,

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forums!

As you have already read above, that is the wrong oil for your vehicle. Basically, an AMG Mercedes will require an oil that is a 40 grade (i.e. 0W40 or 5W40), and that is also certified to MB 229.5 spec (on the back of the bottle, it will say something like MB-Approval 229.5). Remember, that 229.51 is totally different, and NOT for your vehicle (it is a low SAPS diesel spec oil).

So, what this means for a typical American, is that your most readily available choices of 40 grade oils meeting 229.5 spec are Mobil 1 0W40 or Castrol Syntec 0W40. Either of those should satisfy your warranty requirements and engine needs. Of course, there are other 0W40 and 5W40 options available, but not so easy to get as the two I listed.

You can see a complete list of 229.5 oils on this official MB website:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...chbegriff=229.5

Please ignore the 0W30 and 5W30 options, as those are only for NON-AMG vehicles.

Enjoy the AMG!

Like it when people post about oil temp or underhood temp like it matters. Sure when you track a car and it sees very high oil temps sure but overall there's so much more going on in the engine the standard operating temps within reason are irrelevant.

Last edited:
I recently switch from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 10w-30 in my AMG SLK55. I'm noticing that my engine oil is running roughly 3-4C hotter than with the mobil 1. With Mobil 1 im at 100C to 103C. Now I'm running around 103C to 106C. Does anyone know if this 3-4C difference is enough to be of concern? Should I switch back to Mobil 1?

Thanks,

Basically nothing will go bang but the 229.51 is a low saps oil, it has reduced amounts of anti wear additives in to protect diesel particle filters, it's also thinner than necessary when it's hot so will have lower film strength. To be belt and braces, i'd change it out for the correct oil.

Kendal do a 5w40 which is the one for your torque fest of an engine

http://lubeoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Kendall-GT-1-Full-Syn-5w-40.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz

Thanks,

Basically nothing will go bang but the 229.51 is a low saps oil, it has reduced amounts of anti wear additives in to protect diesel particle filters, it's also thinner than necessary when it's hot so will have lower film strength. To be belt and braces, i'd change it out for the correct oil.

Can you explain how 229.5 is thinner then 229.5?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Andyslk said:

Thanks,

Once again i think you've misunderstood what i've said

The AMG engine needs a 229.5 0w or 5w 40

The OP has put a 229.51 5w30 in

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Andyslk said:

Thanks,

Once again i think you've misunderstood what i've said

The AMG engine needs a 229.5 0w or 5w 40

The OP has put a 229.51 5w30 in

OK< because you are saying 229.5 and 229.51 so I am thinking how is thinner if it is same viscosity. But, yeah I get what you saying.

OK< because you are saying 229.5 and 229.51 so I am thinking how is thinner if it is same viscosity. But, yeah I get what you saying. [/quote]

Yeah, you were completely wrong, again, I'll break it down for you since you are incapable of following a thread properly or reading and typing in English.

229.5 is a performance approval given to many different viscosities.

The SLK55 AMG oil has to be both 229.5 and an SAE 40 when it's hot.

Last edited:
GT-1® Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil

Kendall® GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil is a premium quality,
full-synthetic, low-SAPS engine oil designed to provide maximum
protection for European passenger cars under all operating
conditions. It also is recommended for other vehicles operating at extreme temperatures or under severe driving conditions, such as towing heavy loads. It is recommended for use in many gasoline
and light-duty diesel engines, including TDI diesel engines with
unit injectors and select diesel engines equipped with diesel
particulate filters (DPFs).

Applications
• Audi automobiles, gasoline engines (except R8 GT) and diesel
engines, standard drain only
• BMW automobiles, gasoline and diesel engines, except
M-series & Z8 with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engine
• Mercedes-Benz automobiles, diesel engines with or without
DPF (except BlueTEC engines), plus select gasoline engines
(M156, M159, M266, M270, M271, M271 EVO & M274)
• Volkswagen automobiles, gasoline engines and diesel engines,
standard drain only (includes diesel engines with or without
unit injector, and with or without DPF)
• Passenger cars, light trucks and sport utility vehicles that do
not require an ILSAC GF-5 oil for warranty coverage,
especially when operating under severe driving conditions
GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil meets or exceeds the
requirements of:
• API Service SN
• ACEA C3-10, A3/B4-08

GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil is fully approved for service fill under the following OEM specifications:
• BMW Longlife-04 Oil
• Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.51
• VW Standard 505.01, 505.00, 502.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back