Single Stack 9mm for Concealed Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleS2
If you're looking at the double-stack magazine SCCY CPX2, you might also want to look at the Kel-Tec P11. Kel-Tec's original model, you can now get 12 round flush fit magazines for them, and I would expect quality/reliability/accuracy to be at least the equal of the SCCY.
(Probably better- there, I said it. Seems to be very fashionable to bash the Kel Tecs these days, especially by those who have no experience with them. I say Horse Hockey on that. Virtually all the lower cost options out there may need a little "fluff & buff" &/or break-in. The P11 has been made for almost 20 yrs now.)

Right up front I'll admit I have NO experience with Kel Tecs what so ever.

But do they have a No Question's Asked warranty like the SCCY have that goes with the gun, not just for the 1st owner.

Might take note of what the guy that designed the SCCY is also capable of.

The main point about the SCCY Firearms is the quality of materials that is used in the manufacturing much better than any other firearm in the minimal price range and that was the goal of the man who designed the firearm, He also designed the first heart stint that is working now in 1,000's of hearts across America this moment as well as the machine that grinds the glass lenses for the 1 hour eyeglass businesses, In other words this guy knew what He was doing.

Ya, they had growing pains, especially with the designer/partner having a bout with cancer shortly after bringing out the 1st gen. of pistols. He survived and took over the company again.

Last edited:
I own a Kel-Tec (a P-32) and it's been very reliable for me. My dad also has a P-32 and it's been great for him. I really like the Kel-Tec pistols and have been looking at PF-9s and P-11s.

But SCCY's build and material quality looks to be excellent (materials certainly look better than K-T) and I love the forever warranty. K-T has a good warranty, but it applies only to the first owner. My P-32 is used, so I really don't have a warranty on it. That's a consideration as I look at the used gun market for a PF-9 or a P-11. Having said that, K-T has an excellent service department, where parts are available inexpensively and easily, straight from their website. Does one really need a warranty on a gun these days? I don't know.

I can buy a new SCCY for the same as or less than a used K-T.

But does the "you get what you pay for" adage apply here? SCCY looks to be the real deal, but I can't get the inexpensive price out of the back of my mind. I'd really like to try one.

Anyone in or around North Carolina have a SCCY CPX-2 who would like to join me at the range some time?
smile.gif

...the Kel-Tec P11. Kel-Tec's original model, you can now get 12 round flush fit magazines for them...

Is K-T offering these 12-rounders, or are they aftermarket? The P-11 is on my short list as well, though I prefer the slightly lighter trigger of the PF-9. I wonder if I can find a trigger kit for the P-11. I wouldn't want to lighten it too much, but I understand the stock trigger is VERY heavy.

My K-T P-32 has a long 6 pound trigger. But it's a very SMOOTH trigger, and the length and weight of the pull seems very appropriate for the type of gun it is (pocket carry).

The 12-round magazines are made by the same company that makes the Kel-Tec "factory" 10-round magazine- Meggar, IIRC. Both 10s & 12s are currenty listed for sale on the Kel-Tec website.

The 12-round magazines are made by the same company that makes the Kel-Tec "factory" 10-round magazine- Meggar, IIRC.

Oh, okay; that would be "Mec-Gar". They make the P-32 magazines as well.

http://www.mec-gar.com/

Thanks for the info.

I've got an M&P Shield, its about the same size as the springfield XDs. Easy to CC while still being fuctional as a shooter, fairly accurate and your pinky finger still has a place to rest.

just contributing to the conversation, in recent months ive purchased two new CC weapons, #1 the Glock 26 for days i can wear a windbreaker, hoody etc and a Smith&Wesson body guard 380 (factory laser equiped) for t-shirt and shorts days. I use a blackhawk CQC holster with the glock and use the paddle option and just love it, i have a Fobus holster for the .380 and completely forget im wearing it. I wont bash anyones elses choices, as long as your carrying somthing, its better than nothing !

I had my Kel-Tec P-32 in my shorts pocket in a Blackhawk #1 size pocket holster all weekend. Couldn't even tell it was there. I, too, plan to buy a Glock 26 for the colder months where I'd wear an overcoat. I'm not into IWB carry, at least not yet.

I was looking at a G26 for winter carry. I ended up buying the G19. It really isn't that much bigger and it was much easier to shoot. IMO, the G19 is the best gun Glock makes.

I go back and forth on 19 vs 26. Honestly, the 26 fits my hand better...the palm swell on a 26 cups right into the hollow of my palm. The palm swell on a 19 sits right at the base of my hand. The palm swell on a 17 sits just below my hand. For me, ironically, the full size and the subcompact both fit better than the compact.

I saw something, however, in a Hickok45 video the other day that might make a 19 work for me: a Grip Force adapter:

http://gripforceproducts.com/

It feels in some above the palm swell and adds a nice subtle little beaver tail. It might make the grip too large for my wife's smaller hands, though. We'll see...

I have a Shield 9 and a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 (non laser) for CC. The Shield 9 is a great gun, easily shoots tight groups out to 15 yards, but it honestly feels like I'm carrying a brick compared to the super small, much lighter BG380. The best gun possible is the one that is with you all the time. With a little training the BG380 is easy to shoot and produces tight groups at 7 yards. At the most likely real life tactical SD distance, 5 to 15 feet or so, I am 100% OK with using the 7 shot .380 BG380 loaded with high quality SD rounds, instead of having to carry heavier 9mm pocket gun.

For non CC use, around the home, etc., I train with and use FS M&P 9mm - 18 rounds with rail mounted Streamlight TLR-2S.

Last edited:
I voted with my money for an LC9. Small, 7+1 of 9mm, loooong double action pull minimizes the possibility of an ND. Yeah, it's a long pull, but not heavy (to me). It's easy to field strip and appears well made to me. I am sure that all of the others mentioned are good guns, some are much more expensive, but I think none are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back