Question on PurePower lifetime oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchused a PurePower lifetime oil filter(no laughing please) and I went to their website and I mentioned that their filter does not filter as well as a Purolator PureOne.They in return stated that Mack /Navistar have tested their filter and have a combined 12,000,000 miles of trouble free use.Also Chrysler has looked at the wear and tear on a Challenger/Charger that was giving to big daddy Don Garlits and their was very little wear/tear on the engine.I've used one of these filter and they do give you more pickup but at what cost.Many people are using them with no problems.
I also know that motor oil goes through the filter media and not around it like I read at PurePower.Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Dually
I've used one of these filter and they do give you more pickup but at what cost.

Gives you more "pick up" ... like in better performance/acceleration? Hummm ... not sure if any filter is going to give any noticeable seat of the pants performance boost.

Originally Posted By: Dually
I purchused a PurePower lifetime oil filter(no laughing please) and I went to their website and I mentioned that their filter does not filter as well as a Purolator PureOne.They in return stated that Mack /Navistar have tested their filter and have a combined 12,000,000 miles of trouble free use.Also Chrysler has looked at the wear and tear on a Challenger/Charger that was giving to big daddy Don Garlits and their was very little wear/tear on the engine.I've used one of these filter and they do give you more pickup but at what cost.Many people are using them with no problems.
I also know that motor oil goes through the filter media and not around it like I read at PurePower.Joe

If you are using that I would be doing blackstone lab tests at each OCI for at least 3 oil changes to see if the numbers are consistent. Can you tell us what the prices are for the filter? What does the maintenance need to clean it? I have K&N air filters, but I don't think personally that I'd go this route with an Oil filter.

Regards, JC.

I don't know. I have tried several different types of "lifetime" filters. (Car air filter, HVAC, etc). Usually, I use them for a few years and after a couple of cleanings, if they don't fall apart, I decide they are not worth the trouble. Also, it is tough to decide if they are "environmentally friendly." If you wash them, the [censored] you run down the drain isn't very friendly. If you use solvent, how you dispose of it determines part of its friendliness. Overall, using a good quality, disposable filter and not changing it prematurely is probably the most "friendly" overall strategy.

Now, this is just me talking. I think the least environmentally friendly strategy is doing various fluid and filter changes more often than needed. Many of us are operating on outdated models of what constitutes a reasonable interval. Part of the fault lies with manufacturers of both equipment and supplies. Changing things more often than needed wastes money and resources and results in excessive waste products. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
i love my stainless steel filters!! very easy to clean, inc in hp about 5 hp,far less engine drag, does not let big particles in the engine like paper filters do...flows 57 gpm @ 1 psid. 100% filters 35u and 50% 5u...time after time on here you hear about paper filters shedding paper into the engine, or exploding filters etc. paper filter are cheap and not the way to go for your vehicle..don't worry about people laughing at you. the laugh is on them..

Last edited:
Baloney on the hp increase. Show me a dyno sheet or it didn't happen.

You do know what a bypass is right? No oil filter causes drag because it just bypasses the oil when it cannot flow any more.

I've heard all these claims before

I have had a Pure Power filter on my Pontiac 462 for thousands of miles and will never use anything else...

I used to get lifter tick during warm up but after a few hundred miles that went away after installing the Pure Power filter..

I clean it every thousand miles or so and can easily see what's going on in my motor....

What are the ISO 4548-12 results for a PurePower oil filter? Their website has nothing on that. And how can you be sure you've cleaned it properly/thoroughly? How much solvent or soap mess do you have to go thru to clean one?

OK, I'm going to chime in. I have used the for mentioned filter. Two to be exact, one on the engine and one on the transmission on the truck in my siguature.

I have personaly put 100k miles on these filters. I've pulled commercially with the for mentioned filters and truck for 2+yrs and still drive this truck to this day.

I have no, none, zero issues with the exact filters this is about. On top of that some of the towing was on...... t-5 10w30!!!!!! WOW and the engine didn't blow up and the tranny didn't fall out on the ground!

Before someone wants to put down something/anything why don't you do your homework. Do i have a uoa no i do not. Do i need one? I personally don't. The engine's bearings are still tight enough to pass the min oil pressure requirments from gm. If this was such a gravel trap, why is the pressure still more the accpetable to gm?

This is the same bashing that denewton recived when he did dino 10w30 rotella. Just because this is taboo dosen't mean that it won't work or excede industry standerds. As far as i'm conserned go for it. It has worked for me and i've still got the truck to prove it with 190k mile's and still going. Just because your scared to try something new who are you to chastise someone else for thanking outside the box??

The world's full of inovatiors, where would we be without men and women thanking outside of the norm????? Thank about it!

$240 for a filter.

That could buy me 24 Fram Ultra. Those can conservatively be run for 10k miles. 240k to break even, minus the time and expense of cleaning the filter. Run those Ultras to 15k and I've got 360k miles of service. Or buy discount/sale/rebate filters.

WHY would I purchase a filter I have to clean and doesn't filter as well?

33.gif

My rant is not about a cost comparision. It's geared towards the indiviuals that are constantly brow beating somebody for trying something new or different.

That is all i'm saying. However, i do agree about the cost comparision. They are pricey buy's yes, but is it wrong for a person to want to try something different? For some people the choice is a wise one.

It's not wrong to want to try something different. If this were more cost effective, one might be able to have a better ROI. Look at K&N air filters. They get a fair bit of grief, but at least in some situations, they could be a very cost effective option. Modern air box design and proper FCIs have negated much of this advantage, but I digress.

If someone buys a new Range Rover solely to deliver pizza, they're going to get a hard time over it, and it's not just about being different.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back