Totaled Jeep - What's gonna happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm posting this for my brother. He has a 1991 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and 213k miles. Runs like a charm, nothing wrong with it (before the accident).

Well here's the long story:
He was driving down the freeway when the bolt that connects the drag link and the pitman arm let loose, the threads pulled out. He lost all steering but was amazingly able to not hit anybody as it swerved left and he stopped on the side of the road to the left. In Phoenix it is called the HOV lane and he was 3/4 of the way in the emergency pull off area and 1/4 into the lane. This whole time he had his hazard lights on and the jeep started to veer back onto the freeway so he stopped (it wanted to turn) and it was as far as he could get it. 10+ cars passed without issue but then he got side swiped by some type of commercial truck (plumbing truck or something). My brother was on the phone with the police for help when it happened for highway patrol help and luckily he was not hurt. In AZ we have a Move Over law that requires you to change lanes and move over for a stopped vehicle with their hazard lights on or for police if able to safely do so. In between the HOV lane and the "fast lane" is a 3 foot or so small lane that separates the two. There was plenty of room for cars to go around, this truck must not have seen him or not have been paying attention. Plenty of other cars were able to pass just fine.

10qe0ao.jpg

s6redv.jpg

210blgi.jpg

So what's going to happen? Its pretty obvious it will be totaled but he wants to buy it back (it's a jeep, appearance doesn't matter) from what I understand the other party's insurance has to pay out the fair market value for his Jeep.

What is the buy back price for a car that's totaled? My mom had someone pull in front of her Ford Focus 2 years ago and it had a KBB value of $5000-5500 and she was given $7000-7500 for it.

I'm sure 90% of people will say it's a $500 Jeep in the first place. No, just no. Similar Jeeps sell on craigslist all day long for $2,400+ and that is a private party value, not a market value.

So what's the buy back cost? Any way he can avoid getting a salvage title? I guess a salvage title doesn't really matter cause he will probably never sell it.

An adjuster hasn't come to yet and he hasn't spoken to the other insurance company since it happened Saturday afternoon

The buy back price for this Jeep is probably 10-15 cents a pound for recycle metal. So, expect to get it for about $300-500.

There is no way around Salvage title. Your DMV may demand to have the jeep checked by a licensed shop for brake and light and other components after repaired.

He's very lucky, that could have ended a lot worse! The buy back should be somewhere in the area of $300-$500 as already mentioned.

It might be possible to do a "release of liability" with the other party's insurance. Unlikely though, and I'd keep one's mouth shut and be happy they're paying when a mechanical defect could be considered negligence.

Too bad the vehicle's in Arizona. Just yesterday I saw a red Cherokee with damage to the front right behind the town shed in Paramus, NJ.

With no other way of "calling it", I'd guess the Jersey Jeep should buy the Arizona Jeep because the Jersey Jeep's damage is more localized. Kira

Likely his insurance company will set the salvage price and give him a choice along the lines of $3000 if we get the car and $2500 if you keep it. (salvage est $500) Since he was broken down in the far left breakdown lane(possibly only partially in the lane) it's doubtful the insurance companies will fight much over who's at fault on a relatively minor accident. I expect both companies will cover their own cars - less any collision deductible of course.

You can fight the valuation by showing the market value of the vehicle. Use KBB, Craigslist, Autotrader, and anything else you can find to show that a replacement vehicle that is the same costs $2400. Have all this ready for the adjuster. If they do their homework they should go along, since your brother should be "made whole" and set back up like he was before the accident.

I don't imagine he had Collision coverage, but if he did then filing with his own insurance company is an option.

Check with your insurance company about the salvage title and if it will affectthe cost of coverage.

IF the Jeep is totalled and he elects to keep it, salvage title is the only way I think. I would try to avoid that, maybe by taking a little less to keep it under the amount that would total it. The adjuster has some discretion here, so if you are nice it might help.

Last edited:
No full coverage. We both have State Farm and I was considering for 1/2 a second about buying a car with a salvage title and called them up and they said a salvage title doesn't effect insurance rates at all. Just may not be able to get full coverage (I think) but he doesn't have full coverage.

When my car was totalled, State Farm gave me the option of taking a check minus the amount they would get at an auction. They said the title would remain clear.

Seems to me that if he can replace that door and glass, it might be OK with respect to water intrusion in that area. I really can't tell if the back part is bent enough for water to get in there, that would be hard to fix. Note: You really don't want rain getting into the car!!!

As to who is at fault, that's more of a legal and/or insurance company issue and please give us an update once they have assigned blame. I have no idea who is going to get blamed for this one.

That sucks, this is also why its a bad idea to dump lots of money in old vehicles. They will probably offer you $1k maybe, take it and run. Salvage value if it runs is probably about half that.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That sucks, this is also why its a bad idea to dump lots of money in old vehicles. They will probably offer you $1k maybe, take it and run. Salvage value if it runs is probably about half that.

Lots of money hasn't been dumped in it

No "full coverage" to me means he has liability only. So he will get nothing and the damage is on him. He could try to sue the other insurance company claiming he was hit - but if his car was only partially in the breakdown lane, he would lose. Fix it or replace it on your own budget - end of story IMO.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
No "full coverage" to me means he has liability only. So he will get nothing and the damage is on him.

bingo

No "full coverage" to me means he has liability only. So he will get nothing and the damage is on him. He could try to sue the other insurance company claiming he was hit - but if his car was only partially in the breakdown lane, he would lose. Fix it or replace it on your own budget - end of story IMO.

"Claiming he was hit" ???

He WAS hit. Somebody sideswiped him. Not his fault.

Oh I missed the liability part, so your own insurance company isn't going to want to know anything.

Did the other driver get a ticket?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

"Claiming he was hit" ???

He WAS hit. Somebody sideswiped him. Not his fault.

He wasn't entirely out of traffic, and probably didn't have reflectors or flares, insurance companies might claim no fault and no one gets paid.

Stock ride height with stock steering components?

He now has a trail jeep that he doesn't have to worry about scratching, and water intrusion shouldn't be a problem in AZ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back