Switching from castrol gtx to maxlife in a tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought about this for just a couple of days on whether to switch from castrol gtx 10w30 to maxlife.

I knew where else better to ask an opinionated question but here.

The Tacoma has 149,000+, I've been using castrol gtx 10w30 but since the mileage and I have had great luck with max life in my Cherokee I thought why not start using max life in the truck.

My question is should I stick with 10w30 or switch back down to 5w30 since that's what Toyota recommends since that is labeled on the oil filler cap.

My Cherokee has no problems with it and I just haven't switched for the Toyota.

Cost for maxlife at Wally World is usually under $20 for a 5qt jug anyhow. Just an FYI.

149k+ miles should I stick with 10w30 or drop down to 5w30?
Thanks.

Stick with 10W-30 and go MaxLife at 3000 mile intervals.

And for those of you who think that's a waste of oil, I say this:

Motor oil is like potato chips, it will never run out; they're making more and more everyday.
laugh.gif

Ok. Good enough for me. I was thinking that it really didn't matter but I thought it might get better mileage with the 5w30 that's all.

It'll get a jug of the 10w30 or 10w40 then. If they are out of one on the shelf I'll get the other.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Ok. Good enough for me. I was thinking that it really didn't matter but I thought it might get better mileage with the 5w30 that's all.

It'll get a jug of the 10w30 or 10w40 then. If they are out of one on the shelf I'll get the other.

No need for a 10w40 with that low mileage.

Ok. 10w30 max life going in it this week. I just noticed yesterday it's been almost 4k miles since last OCI.

Thanks on the input.

If the choices are either GTX or Maxlife then I choose Maxlife 5W30.

If your Tacoma didn't consume much oil in normal OCI, I would skip Maxlife and go with Pennzoil semi-syn for about the same price with Maxlife.

5qt jug was only $17.97 at wally world. I went ahead and just got the 10w30.

To bubbatime yeah I don't ever need to use 5w30 in the cherokee so that will make it easier just to get 3 jugs when the price is that good.

I'll see how the tacoma likes it because last year I did switch at a bad time with the mileage to 5w40 T6 and that made my valve covers start to leak (bad mistake to run a full synthetic). I am just taking a chance that wont happen with the maxlife since it isn't a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Stick with 10W-30 and go MaxLife at 3000 mile intervals.

And for those of you who think that's a waste of oil, I say this:

Motor oil is like potato chips, it will never run out; they're making more and more everyday.
laugh.gif

But no one throws 1/2 empty bags of chips into the trash.

Maxlife is probably the better oil.
In your climate, you could use either a 10W-30 or a 5W-30.
It won't make much difference.
You might also consider Defy, which is typically less costly than Maxlife and is also a syn blend.

Update.

I changed the oil to the max life and I can tell a difference.

Then yesterday evening I opted to just change the tranny fluid because I hate dropping the oil pan on any of the vehicles without a lift. So I just changed the fluid (dex/mercon III) from Wally World. [censored]. What a difference that really made.

People don't neglect getting YOUR TRANSMISSION FILTER AND OIL CHANGED. It is like night and day. Not sluggish. Not slipping. And gunning it is great! I have my truck back. Heat does kill trans fluid.

This fluid change was just temp as I will soon drop the pan to change the filter but for now I'm happy.

Might put a B&M tranny cooler with gauge on this truck soon. Then I will finally get around around to putting one on the Cherokee.

Kudos to valvoline maxlife yet again!

240,000 nearly on the Cherokee with yes I do use a quart of the Lucas oil stabilizer with it because it DOES need it. I don't want to do a engine rebuilt on it until I have to. 5qts maxlife 10w30 and 1 bottle Lucas.

I've been using maxlufe better part of my life in it so I knew it was great oil even before asking about it for the Tacoma on here.

Thanks again .

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the choices are either GTX or Maxlife then I choose Maxlife 5W30.

If your Tacoma didn't consume much oil in normal OCI, I would skip Maxlife and go with Pennzoil semi-syn for about the same price with Maxlife.

Pennzoil synthetic blend gets regular use in our Corrolla now here in TN. That is some great oil, especially considering it's less than $18 a gallon here. But we've toyed with the idea of going to QSUD for the next OCI as it's just a couple bucks more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back