Castrol GTX vs Kendall GT1 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have looked at this site here and there for the past few years and finally registered. It makes me happy to find others who care as much about their vehicles as I do. Of course I do have a question. I know I will get varying facts and opinions on this but here it goes...

I have a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis that I purchased about 5 years ago with 125k miles. I have religiously used Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend and Motorcraft FL820S filters every 3000 miles. I recently discovered that Kendall GT1 blend 5w30 is basically the same oil. I plan on buying it by the case to save money over the Motorcraft oil. My question is this: I also have a 1992 Ford Tempo with 2.3L pushrod 4cyl / 5speed that I use as my daily driver. No short trips, but sometimes hard driving. I bought it at 52k miles and have used Castrol GTX 5w30 and Motorcraft FL1A every 3k miles. It now has 64k and the oil is perfectly clean. It doesn't seem to burn any, but leaks about half a quart between changes (minor head gasket and oil pan external leaks) It is driven enough that at 3k intervals, I change the oil every 4 months or so. I plan on keeping this Tempo forever and I am also set in my ways when it comes to 3000 mile OC intervals, so between Castrol GTX conventional and Kendall GT1 blend, what would you all recommend? Cost difference isn't a factor to me. I just want minimum wear. I have heard GTX has a good amount of ZDDP for reduced camshaft wear of flat tappet cams, but does that make it any better than the Kendall in this situation?
Thanks!

No Castrol GTX is not better than Kendall. Kendall is not better than Castrol. Use the one that cost less and you will be set be set. There is a ZDDP limit for ISLAC GF-5 and API SN resource conserving PCMO's.

Other words GTX has about the same amount of ZDDP as other PCMO's in the same grade.

Other poster is correct that both oils are pretty much the same with zinc limits. However, Kendall uses titanium which is a different approach to anti wear.

I'd personally use Kendall

I don't really think the GTX is anything special, although it's good oil, as are most SN/GF-5's. I really like the Kendall, although I have nothing empirical to support that.

Your newest car is 15 years old and you older car is 22 years old and leaks oil. Both cars are PERFECT candidates for high mileage oils with seal conditioners. I would run Maxlife 5w30 in both cars.

Castrol was much better before they were bought out by BP. That being said, go with whatever is cheapest. Neither of those cars will stress any API certified oil given decent OCI's.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: MintFord

I plan on keeping this Tempo forever

I may have laughed out loud a little bit.

Well, there is a tempo/topaz site.

Every car has to have some type of love....

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Between those two, I'd use the Kendall.

Like GTX, but I like Kendall more.

A toss up for either....

The most basic Kendall typically is a synblend, whereas the Castrol is typically a conventional at the same price. Kendall is great if you can get it.

Ever read the VOA section? Kendall usually has more boron and titanium than Castrol.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: MintFord

I plan on keeping this Tempo forever

I may have laughed out loud a little bit.

Me too, even I'm not too attached to my car, and it's a Toyota!

Originally Posted By: 29662
Castrol was much better before they were bought out by BP. That being said, go with whatever is cheapest. Neither of those cars will stress any API certified oil given decent OCI's.

when was castrol bought out by BP?

I would choose Kendall over GTX, but either will work fine in that car. Go for the lower priced of the two. Kendall is usually cheaper than Castrol in the places that I look.

I don't like either one. My F150 had been ran on Kendall for many years before I got it, it's covered in sludge on the outside and the inside must be nasty because my oil gets black, and I mean BLACK, by 750 miles. Lots of cleaning up to do. GTX was used religiously in a newer engine, 3800II GM Buick Park Avenue (2000 model), 3000 mile or LESS oil changes. Front valve cover started leaking and it ended up consuming 3/4 a quart every 2500 miles.

I've used GTX a lot. Never had anything just blow up on me, but I think there are better choices out there.

If I had to pick... shew, I'd actually go with the GTX. Don't worry, either way, I wouldn't be sleeping well at night. Obviously no true science here, just what I've seen, but that's all that's posted in this thread, anyways. The base model Kendall is a synblend? Is that true? If so, I'd probably lean towards the Kendall, actually.

Burmah Oil bought Castrol in 1966. BP bought Burmah Oil (including Castrol) in 2000.
ConocoPhillips bought the Kendall brand name from the American Refining Group in 2002.

Nothing wrong with Castrol GTX. I think ConocoPhillips is using the Kendall label as a marketing tool for their next-tier-up oils. For example, the Conoco Super All Season Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is their basic stuff (probably as good as everyone else's standard motor oil, including Motorcraft), and the next rung up on the CP ladder seems to be Kendall GT-1® High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium®.

The Liquid Titanium®, according to the patent documents, when mixed with ZDDP in an oil forms a low friction wear resistant tribofilm on the metal. Moly plus ZDDP does the same thing, but at higher cost. Just ZDDP forms a high friction wear resistant film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back