ROAD TRIP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday

A few weeks ago I saw on FaceBook that the Lane Motor Museum was hosting a "Great Gatsby" 1920s party as a sort of fundraiser for a local organization. I saw this 2 days before the event which was on a Tuesday...I have college classes that day.

Tueday
I had no time to spare, so I dressed up to the best 1920s style I could get (I took it seriously, no goofyness) and went to class that morning. My fellow colleagues just had to put a joke in, since they didn't think I was serious in what I was about to do.

I live near Chicago, the Lane Motor Museum is in Nashville, TN, my plan was to drive straight there by 6:30pm when the party started, sleep in the car over night at a rest stop, and then drive home the next morning whenever I woke up. I figured the road trip plus the price of the tickets would cost around $150.

So I "sneaked" out of class a bit early and just drove, my GPS took me on a strange course follow rt. 41 that wove in and out of Indiana and Illinois, where I was glad to see the agricultural side of things, rather than super highway barriers. It's funny driving a slightly tuned sports car, because other sports car drivers see me, and we began driving together until one of us would split down an off ramp. This happened several times. And then I arrived a bit late at the Lane Motor Museum, where there was live music, food, and incredible French, Czech, and other amazing cars. I have been dreaming to go for a long time, and I went at the perfect time. There was very few people there, but all were nice, and we struck up great conversations.

Here are the photos I took. It is a link to an account of mine, if it is not allowed on here, admin please tell me. I'm simply too lazing to upload them via tinypic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

just click the "next" button on the top right corner of the photo to browse

Wednesday

I talked to a museum employee the night of the party, and she was surprised I drove all the way from Chicago to be there that night, so I was invited back the next morning to see the set up of the new Tatra exhibit. So that night I stayed in a hotel, and enjoyed a peace and quite, and SyFy channel.

After visiting the museum that second time I expressed my gratitude and bid my farewell. It was time to go home. I took the lazy way home, meandering through the farm roads of Illinois, stopped to take photos, set the cruise control, and enjoyed the drive. This is my first trip that was non-business related, I just wish it was a bit longer.

The reason I went to this was because
-I love live music, and upper scale parties: for example wine tasting, fine cars, and traditional cuisine sort of style (even though this was much more casual than I thought)
-I love French cars, and anything strange. They even had a Voisin (my most favorite company) I really enjoyed the Czech's designs with the Tatras. Very revolutionary.
-I had to get away from life for a bit, travel is my most favorite thing to do.

All in all it's a great museum, a must see for any car enthusiast, and I hope to return one day.

Wow, there sure are some oddities there. I'm try to figure out the reasoning behind the 2CV with two front ends morphed together and how that was used as a firefighting apparatus.

10301222_747888331918616_1393021645957313297_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner

-I had to get away from life for a bit, travel is my most favorite thing to do.

Couldnt have said it any better myself !

I live 30 minutes away from the lane museum. I'll go check it out sometime! thanks for the info

Thanks for the tour. How far is the distance? In an old English car? I meet fellow E28 ers all over the east for events during the summer. Getting there can be just as much fun as the event.
grin2.gif

That low white car is a joint effort of Citroen and Maserati I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
What is the low, flat, white car next to the powder blue Citroen DS?

Citroen SM

That whole trip sounds awesome! I love all things automotive and have seen many different things but there was several pictures in there of things I had never seen or heard of. Very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back