Who Manufactures Yamaha Motorcycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Yamaha doesn't manufacture their own oil.
I was curious as to whom bottles it for them?

Motorcycle oils have a JASO MA rating. My FZ1 calls for standard MA,
I was thinking of Rotella T6 for my choice of oil.

Originally Posted By: Radman

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/942200/Who_makes_YAMALUBE_oil?#Post942200

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=734333

Although, I've also read other reports claiming that it was made by Spectro, so not really sure.

Quote:

T6 is decent, however, it's not very shear stable in shared sumps due to its high viscosity spread. Alas, you haven't told us how often you're planning to change it. If you'll be changing it often, that may not be an issue.

Given the price and ease of purchase at Walmart, you won't find a better synthetic oil for your bike.

@Pete,

I was thinking between 2-3K miles for oil change intervals.
Thanks for the links. I searched for 20 mins, but must have used the wrong hit words.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/942200/Who_makes_YAMALUBE_oil?#Post942200

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=734333

Although, I've also read other reports claiming that it was made by Spectro, so not really sure.

Quote:

T6 is decent, however, it's not very shear stable in shared sumps due to its high viscosity spread. Alas, you haven't told us how often you're planning to change it. If you'll be changing it often, that may not be an issue.

I have had better results with Rotella T 15W40 conventional than I have had with T6 5W40 in my FJR as far as shear stability goes. Seems like the T6 shears down to a 30 in abut 1,000 miles.

Sorry, don't have a copy of the UOAs anymore to post, lost due to a dead hard drive that I never cared to back up. Some google searches will show others with similar results.

The Rotella T 15W40 is also Jaso MA approved

@Pete,

I was thinking between 2-3K miles for oil change intervals.

Let the shifting quality be your judge. If you notice shifting becoming clunky, it's probably time to change. 2-3K miles should be OK though.

I concur with the previous poster that the mineral rotella T 15w-40 actually seems to hold up better in shared sump service, and will have no problem with 2-3K mile intervals either.

+1 to Quattro's response. As far as the use of the Rotella T6 goes, I would also shy away from it and use their 15W40 in place of it. I also have an 07 FZ1 (which is technically unchanged from your 2013 except for a revised ECU for improved throttle response) and have been using Rotella's 15W40 and it has been performing flawlessly in the bike. As was stated earlier, T6 is a fantastic oil in many applications, but has generally shown in various UOA's to be lacking shear stability (either due to mechanical or chemical shear, i.e, fuel dilution) in a variety of shared sump motorcycles.
In addition, if your signature at the bottom of your post is accurate, it looks like you own a new one with only 1K miles on it (you're going to have a blast racking the miles up on this bike!). With that in mind, if you are still under warranty or have purchased the "Yamaha Y.E.S" extended warranty, you'll find not only in the manual but more extensively in their authorized service manual that Yamaha only recommends a 10Wxx, 15Wxx, or 20Wxx grade oil, and that anything lower than a 10Wxx (SRT 5W40) could void your warranty agreement should an issue arise with your FZ1 and they request proof of maintenance not performed at the dealership. The Rotella 15W40 is also rated JASO MA, and has somewhat recently been updated to JASO MA2, and will work perfectly with your planned 2-3,000 mile OCI's.

Yep brand new cobalt blue FZ1.
It was clearanced for $6999 in the crate.
I rode 125 miles in pouring rain in 50 degree temps just to get it home.
It needs an oil change so I figured I would ask the people in the know.
Thanks Everyone!

Yep brand new cobalt blue FZ1.
It was clearanced for $6999 in the crate.
I rode 125 miles in pouring rain in 50 degree temps just to get it home.
It needs an oil change so I figured I would ask the people in the know.
Thanks Everyone!

That's the exact same color I have except with the gold forks! It's an awesome color, I've been really happy with it. WOW!! Where did you catch that kind of deal!? Man, for a bike like the FZ1 and that kind of price...I'd crawl on the ground in pouring rain for that deal! lol I picked up mine from an older gentleman with 2700 miles on it with the extended warranty for $5500 which I thought was a steal at the time, but today I've definitely been one-upped!
wink.gif

I drove out of state to Ohio to J&J Powersports.
They were $3K cheaper & charged $150 less for prep than the dealer in Ann Arbor Mi.
As a matter of fact the FZ-09 was tagged $1K below MSRP and the Michigan dealers sell at MSRP on a waiting list.
I have no issue making a 4 hour round trip in the rain to save over $3K.

I have no issue making a 4 hour round trip in the rain to save over $3K.

nice price and who the heck wouldnt!!!

somehow i dont think most people make $750 and hour

oh and the blender of the mfg oils (yam,hon,kaw,suz) vary usually in 2year deals as the contract gets renewed. check the msds for the current.

Radman, it sure pays to search around and do your homework when it comes to dealerships and the ensuing competition; no doubt worth the $3000 in savings, nice find!

JetStar, seems like we're both thinking along the same lines. I've also been running SRT 15W40 with the OCI's performed 25% earlier than Yamaha recommends (3,000 instead of 4,000) until I have a UOA done suggesting something different. So far though, everything seems to be running flawlessly and hopefully join the 100,000 mile club looong down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back