Upcoming VW 508 oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing references to it here and there but can't locate any definitive information. Apparently VW 508 00 is being developed and is focused on fuel economy with low SAPS.

Has anyone heard anything on this? What markets and engines is this being targeted at? Any idea when it will be released? What ACEA spec is it modeled on?

I've seen mentions of this spec going as far back as 2010, but no details whatsoever, apart from what you've already noted.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'm seeing references to it here and there but can't locate any definitive information. Apparently VW 508 00 is being developed and is focused on fuel economy with low SAPS.

Has anyone heard anything on this? What markets and engines is this being targeted at? Any idea when it will be released? What ACEA spec is it modeled on?

504/507 is already focused on fuel economy and Low-SAPS.

if they are working on a "508" spec... then it would be modeled on the next Euro emissions levels. Once that fully established, ACEA standards will follow.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

These specs still call for HT/HS viscosity of at least 3.5 cP, so that effectively limits any serious fuel economy benefits. Maybe this new 508 spec would allow lower HT/HS limit?

VW had also, 503.00/506.00/506.01 specification which was a 0w30 oil, with a "lower" HTHS spec, 2.9-3.5

Are these still active VW specs? Afton Handbook does not list them anymore for some reason.

By the way, these are low HT/HS, but not low SAPS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

These specs still call for HT/HS viscosity of at least 3.5 cP, so that effectively limits any serious fuel economy benefits. Maybe this new 508 spec would allow lower HT/HS limit?

Curious to see how the engineers get it done with an hths <2.9

VW had also, 503.00/506.00/506.01 specification which was a 0w30 oil, with a "lower" HTHS spec, 2.9-3.5

Are these still active VW specs? Afton Handbook does not list them anymore for some reason.

Yes, but I believe the only engines that spec 503/506 are the VW 2.5 R5 TDI and the VW 5.0 V10 TDI.

VW 503.00
Long-life gasoline engine oil for VW cars with WIV (system for longer service intervals). Also meets ACEA A1, SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30 specification.

VW 506.00
These oils are suitable for diesel engines with extended service intervals of up to 50,000km / 2 years. Not for use on engines with a single injector pump. Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator. Viscosity is SAE 0W30.

VW 506.01
These oils are especially for "Pumpe-Düse" (unit injector or "PD" engines) running on extended service intervals (30,000 - 50,000km / 24 months). Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator.

Motul sells a Specific 503/506 0w30 (TBN of about 10, HTHS of about 3.1) and says:
-Fuel Economy Engine Oil specifically designed for extended drain intervals (WIV) of new VAG (VW,AUDI, SEAT and SKODA) Gasoline and Diesel engines from MY2000.
-For VW, AUDI, SEAT and SKODA Turbo Diesel Unit Injector engines and fixed drain intervals at 15000 km an approved VW 505 01 product such as MOTUL Specific 505 01 502 00 505 00 5W-40 is preferred.

By the way, these are low HT/HS, but not low SAPS.

Ravenol still makes a 503/506/506.01 approved oil. Although it isn't specified for the VW/Audi 2.8L 30V, it is recommended by Blauparts.

"...still makes a 503/506/506.01 approved oil"

I belive Fuchs and Gulf also supply to these specs.

Last edited:
Fuchs don't tell much when i was looking for specs, unless i was just not finding it. manufacturers make it hard to compare products on purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back