Gas station begging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else getting tired of people begging at gas stations? Is this happening in the rest of the country, or is this a "down souf" thing?

I would say at least once a month, I get hit up for gas or money. "I just need a little to get back to wherever, and I'm not from around here, blah blah blah." I don't even let them get their stupid story out anymore, as soon as they do the "excuse me sir, ca..." I just say "nope."

Today I was at a gas station that was fairly busy. I was almost done filling up, when a lady pulls up to the pump behind me in a Chrysler Town & Country, wearing pajama bottoms of course. She gets out of her van and immediately makes a beeline for a middle aged guy with a new Ford Escape on the other side of the island I'm using. He had the newest vehicle at the gas station and I guess looked like an easy mark. She says to him "sir, can you please help me get some gas?" He says, "sorry, I can't." Not good enough for the aggressive trailer trash beggers "but, sir, I..." "I really can't help you, I'm sorry." She then walks over to me... "excuse me, sir..." "NOPE!" That gets her to walk away from me, but then while wandering towards her next mark she starts with this "OH LORD, PLEASE LORD HELP ME!" boohooing. I got in my truck and left, and watched her chase down a Camry that was pulling out of a spot at the convenience store.

Wouldn't it be easier to just do some actual work to get gas? I see so many people spend all this time and effort harassing others for "a little bit of gas." Most of these people are begging "pros," they do this habitually, and when someone begs habitually, I really have a hard time feeling sorry for them at all. To people who live in areas where this isn't a problem, I may seem like a heartless [censored], but these people are basically small time con artists. This lady had everyone at the gas station sized up when she pulled in, and immediately went for the person who seemed like the easiest/most profitable target. The mentality behind this behavior makes me sick.

They always try to make it seem like it's just an emergency and they don't normally do this, but I think normal working people would be hard pressed to hit up other strangers at a gas station for money because they "ran out today." The ease with which these people approach and beg suggests to me this isn't their first rodeo doing this.

The thing is, I have seen convenience stores give homeless people odd jobs like mopping and taking out the trash in exchange for whatever they need to get by for the day. These gas pump beggars just seem interested in begging though, not working.

I have a feeling that this whole episode disturbed you. It disturbs me too, when this happens. You are probably right, but there is always this nagging feeling of what if this person was sincere and I didn't help them.

Alambama's unemployment rate is about the same as we have here, although wages are lower, so it isn't an economic thing.
I've seen gas station beggars around here in the past, but not recently.
They usually have an elaborate story to tell.
There is a rest area on I-70 around London that's notorious for beggars. I haven't encountered one there in several years, though.
If approached, I typically reply with a polite sorry, but I can't help you repsonse. This usually works. After that, if the beggar persists, I'll just say no and ask them if they'd like me to call the police.
Most of us have enough pride that we'd gladly work for half of what we now make or less before we'd beg.
Apparently, not everyone feels that way.

Have seen this kind of activity at off ramps but not in gas stations. This would not be tolerated by G.S. owners/police here in Roanoke.

Originally Posted By: TTK
there is always this nagging feeling of what if this person was sincere and I didn't help them.

If the person were sincere they'd do better asking for what they actually need, not money to buy it with. If it really bothers you, offer to get them the thing they say they want your money for. They usually don't want it. I've only ever had two guys take me up on that offer.

When we were in SF a few years ago, the begging really got me.

Went and had a look at the Bohemian Club, and there was a vet (claimed to be) over the road, who was insistent that we needed to give him money...so insistent that he offered to make change if we needed to break a note.

I have a feeling that this whole episode disturbed you. It disturbs me too, when this happens. You are probably right, but there is always this nagging feeling of what if this person was sincere and I didn't help them.

I've thought that too.
I've also thought that I've gotten up and gone to work for many years on mornings when I really wasn't feeling it.
One should also consider that anyone should develop layers of protection against a cold fiscal wind.
If one has exhausted one's unemployment benefits, there is always the option of working for lower wages.
One should also have layers of protection.
After a few years of decent employment a personal rainy day fund of cash should be built to a year of living expenses in liquid form, followed with the deep credit card available balances which good credit gives you, and then the possibility of drawing down a retirement fund with horrific tax consequences as well as leveraging other assets to generate cash.
With a little planning, one should never have to beg, although one might need to work cheap.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Have seen this kind of activity at off ramps but not in gas stations. This would not be tolerated by G.S. owners/police here in Roanoke.

The owners don't tolerate it really, but it's difficult for them to act immediately. The lady I encountered today hit up three different people in the space of about a minute, probably before the store clerk even realized what she was up to. If there is only one person working in the store, and they have a line of customers, it can be difficult for them to go outside and run the beggar off. I have seen them do that though.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

If the person were sincere they'd do better asking for what they actually need, not money to buy it with. If it really bothers you, offer to get them the thing they say they want your money for. They usually don't want it. I've only ever had two guys take me up on that offer.

I kind of feel this way, except for gas, since it's intrinsically useful to just about everyone. A lot of the gas beggars do just want gas, but they are trying to hit many people so they end up with a full tank.

I will give some things to homeless people, but not if they come across as "pro beggars," and I don't give money. I gave a homeless guy a beer a couple months ago.

We never have beggars in my hick town and I never go into the parts of the big city where they are found. The girlfriend and I did get harassed (and followed) by a guy wanting change while we were visiting her aunt in Indianapolis.

We went into a store and he stopped thankfully.

Not at gas stations, but at stop lights, the beggars are everywhere around here. Some shopping centers were forced to put up signs saying no panhandling.

I never give money to any of the beggars around town. However, I will offer a burger or something like that that I purchase. And wouldn't ya know, they just want cash, lol.

Years ago I saw a guy right by my house with a sign wanting money for food. I told him that I wouldn't give him money but I would buy him a sandwich. He said it was for his kids and wife. Turns out that his 2 boys and his wife were sitting up under the bridge.he genuinely just wanted food. I took them all to the jack in the box down the street and got them whatever they wanted. The guy actually tried to give me the 10 bucks he had collected. I bought another $50 in a gift card and gave to them before I left. They were legitimate god people on some hard times.

I had a guy with gold teeth driving an Impala at RaceTrac (not joking, this really happened) tell me he was on fumes and left his wallet at home.

I just said..... NOPE.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
I never give money to any of the beggars around town. However, I will offer a burger or something like that that I purchase. And wouldn't ya know, they just want cash, lol.

Years ago I saw a guy right by my house with a sign wanting money for food. I told him that I wouldn't give him money but I would buy him a sandwich. He said it was for his kids and wife. Turns out that his 2 boys and his wife were sitting up under the bridge.he genuinely just wanted food. I took them all to the jack in the box down the street and got them whatever they wanted. The guy actually tried to give me the 10 bucks he had collected. I bought another $50 in a gift card and gave to them before I left. They were legitimate god people on some hard times.

What a generous act. Goes to show you not all of them are fakes.

Hold out your hand and I'll give ya a handful of gas, bout all I can afford to give.
But mostly (stern voice and mad look) "Get Lost!"

About 2 years ago or so a guy approached me asking for some gas because the helper ran the truck down on gas and bla, bla, bla, I caved in gave him about 5 Gal. of gas. Two weeks later the guy was back at the same gas station with the same story and ask me again, I blew up I remind him that he came to me with the same trick 2 weeks ago and made sure everybody around hear me, the guy then went 2 isles farther and begun again I went to those isles and told every one about it, when the guy understood that I wasn't going to go away, he sat in his truck all p.ss off gave me a look that could have killed me and burn his tires away. I haven't seen him since then but I hit that station one day a week more or less at the same hour every time.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
its a daily thing here. cant walk across a parking lot or get gas without a bum begging

A year ago, I was with an elderly lady friend at the Outpost just north of the 15 Freeway on Highway 395. We were hit up by this young man covered with tattoos who was very aggressive. I gave him no money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back