Spark Plug Basic Knowledge (Denso)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info anyway, it's interesting. I've never used Autolite plugs so I have no feedback on them.

The Iridium plugs usually have a platinum electrode.

Waste spark Fords came from the factory with dual plats on the electrode fired side and single plats on the anode fired side.

Iridiums also take a lot less energy to fire.

Cheap and good Iridiums are the Autolite XPs. You can usually get them with a rebate too.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The Iridium plugs usually have a platinum electrode.

Ummm, don't you mean iridium plugs have an iridium (alloy) electrode?

Both Denso and NGK say they have an iridium tipped center electrode and the ground electrode is platinum.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Both Denso and NGK say they have an iridium tipped center electrode and the ground electrode is platinum.

Oh I see. I guess they weld a little pad on the ground tip.

NGK Iridium Laser = Iridium/Platinum
NGK Iridium IX = Iridium/Steel
NGK DFE = Iridium/Iridium (by the looks of it)

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/DYK_Evolution_Plugs.pdf

Here's a nice little writeup on the Iridiums:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/DYK_LaserIridium_vs_Iridium IX.pdf

NGK builds two types of Iridium spark plugs: Laser Iridium and Iridium IX. ... Laser Series was designed for an OEM application. ... Iridium on the center tip and Platinum on the ground electrode. Iridium IX ... are single precious metal aftermarket performance plug.

Laser Series ... last 80 to 100 thousand miles
Iridium IX ... last 40 to 50 thousand miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
IIRC, Autolite 5245 copper vs Autolite 5245 platinums(either way, one was a platinum version of the other).

Today seems to be spark-plug day.

So digging up info on platinum/iridium plugs and came across some Amazon reviews on Autolite. Seems you're not the only one with this type of problem.

" They looked to be the same size and everything as the stock plugs and while I didn't have any CELs, the motor seemed to stumble periodically, the throttle response was worse, and the fuel mileage was worse compared to the worn OE plugs. I bought some Denso plugs instead and now the engine is super smooth and the performance difference is very noticeable. Gas mileage has gone way up too."

"They were NOT pre gapped as the other reviewer stated. In fact 2 of them had the ground almost touching the center electrode. One was badly bent to one side. The threads has some weird lubricant on them. The threads on all of them had pits and dents."

"the Spark Plugs were gapped properly and torqued correctly. I decided to change the wires back to the 13 year old stock ones (with 1998 written on them) and I check the spark plugs. One was bent! Not dramatically to where it couldn't fire, but enough to make a noticable distortion.

I also experienced a 15% fuel economy loss (average of 42.5mpg and I recorded around 37mpg the last check). So I again replace the slightly used NGK-R plugs and car has never been better."

"A mechanic installed Autolite XP3924 Xtreme Performance Iridium Spark Plugs in my 2001 Toyota Prius, replacing the original Toyota spark plugs with 122,400 miles, thinking they were correct. After one year of use and 6,000 miles, the MPG had deteriorated from 46 MPG to 39 MPG average. When the Check Engine warning lite appeared, I took it to a Toyota dealer for service. They found cylinders three and one misfiring. Dealer replaced plugs with Toyota spark plugs and cleaned MAF. MPG is back to 46 MPG average."

"Today I removed my Autolite xp605 Iridiums trying to eliminate a misfire(at partial throttle) I've had for almost a month...and that's after $300+ on other ignition related parts and sensors trying to find the problem. I changed my plugs even though I had under 20k miles on them. I did not suspect them to be bad but I was just trying to narrow the possibilities down. Having never checked resistance on a spark plug before, I decided to try it. I found where these plugs have a reliable range of 2k to 20k ohms. Four of my six plugs ranged from 4k to 6.1k ohms, one at almost 16k, the other at 246k! I then test drove my truck... smooth as could be. I spent about $7-8 a plug right after they came out. I'm very disappointed. Stock AC Delcos are back in."

"install these plugs in my 2005 Tundra. Ran great for 3K miles, then, engine light came on P0306..missing number 6 cylinder.. pull the plug out, bad plug.. junked all 6.. put back the OE denso plugs, no problem, runs fine."

"My husband put them in the next day and the car "Check Engine" light came on and the car could barely move in first or second gear. It would just sputter and it was a very dangerous situation as I could not pull out into traffic without fear of being hit. We then swapped the plugs back to the original plugs that had been in my car for 10 years and the car ran perfectly. We then put in two plugs at a time and neither set worked - but didn't actually make the check engine light come on. Again back to the original plugs and the car ran great."

Originally Posted By: martinq
NGK Iridium Laser = Iridium/Platinum
NGK Iridium IX = Iridium/Steel
NGK DFE = Iridium/Iridium (by the looks of it)

Nice try not not quite:
NGK Iridium Laser = fine wire Iridium/flat Platinum pad
NGK Iridium IX = fine wire Iridium/flat Nickel
NGK DFE = fine wire Iridium/fine wire Platinum

Fine wire means better ignition and flame propagation. Thus "needle to needle" 2 fine wire electrodes is the best possible solution, short for lasers or plasma injectors. So, it's not just about long life.

Denso also makes "needle to needle" plugs.
Denso TT = fine wire Platinum/fine wire Titanium (cheap)
Denso Super Ignition Plug = fine wire Iridium/fine wire Platinum

I have the Denso Super Ignition Plug as EOM plug in my RAV4. Some people pulled them at 150,000 miles and they are like new with stock gap. They are also OEM in some other recent toyotas, hondas and other cars.

Oh, BTW, the copper plugs everyone is talking about have flat Nickel/flat Nickel electrodes. The worst performance and life combination, but cheap.

The set of Denso W16EXR-U11 plugs I installed a few weeks ago had the electrodes not centered. For some reason all four were off-centered in the same way, center electrode closer to one side of the ground electrode. They are also made in Japan. I didn't bother centering them (they are pregapped plugs) but I worry a little that the performance might have taken some hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back