Royal Purple HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used royal purple HPS in their TDI?

i called the help line for royal purple and the person
i talked to recommended this one for my 1.9L TDI

HPS (High Performance Street) would seem to be a great product for the hot rod crowd. However, the demands placed on an oil used in a diesel environment is quite different than the demands placed on a gasoline fueled vehicle.

You don't mention which TDI you have other than the displacement so this could be an old rotary pump AHU or ALH engine or a unit injector 'PD' engine. The rotary pump engines seemed to work fine with just about anything that could suspend soot and not boil out of the crankcase. Their issues were with intake clogging at the EGR and puddle accumulation in the intercooler.

Unit Injector engines of course need anti-wear additives and viscosity to keep the exhaust valvetrain actuators from chewing the camshaft to bits. If the PD engine is what you're operating then it would seem to be a good candidate for testing out the HPS claims of reduced wear. I'd use nothing lower than their 10W-40 though based simply on the requirements that VW put on the 505.01 standard. You need seal compatibility, a HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP's, and I would shoot for a minimum operating viscosity of 12.5 cP's average.

TDI's, whether it be the ALH or a BEW engine code benefit from very low soot production due to such low fuel consumption. The engines are heavy on EGR for emissions reasons and therefore can dirty their oil rather quickly. I wouldn't try to do any crazy extended drain intervals with the HPS but I don't see any detrimental outcome from its use either. I would use a 10W-40 viscosity though to get the HT/HS requirement.

My cat has the tdi bew engine in it I saw it had a high zinc content and thought it would give me good wear protection,

Oh, we'll guess I will be changing the oil at 3,000 miles and going back to T6 10w/40
Just want to keep my baby for as long as possible

No reason not to use/try the Royal Purple. I was looking around and noticed that they also sell a 5W-40 HPS so that would be another option to choose.

According to their site, there is no 5w-40 HPS. 5w-40 was an SM grade (and Euro grade) that had Synerlec already, so wasn't changed in the switch to RP API SN and the introduction of HPS.

yes Garak, you are correct. There is no HPS 5W-40 but there is an API licensed 5W-40 if he's interested in trying it. It offers an HT/HS viscosity of 3.9 cP's but their published kinematic viscosity seems high to me at 15.9 cSt's. I'd still choose the 10W-40 myself but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I haven't tried their 5w-40; I did try the 0w-40. Both claim A3/B3 (probably A3/B4, too), albeit a dated version. 5w-40 has Synerlec, 0w-40 does not. Whatever other differences there might be, I'm not sure.

I went with the 10w/40 HPS to see how it goes might go back to T6 but have to see what the oil come out like first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back