Pennzoil Multi-Purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says that it is for use in chain saws trimmers ext... but it is also TC-W3 and can be used in a number of outboards, according to the bottle. But i want to use it in my string trimmer and blower snow blower and chainsaw. is this stuff ny good they sell it at my local grocery store and i picked a quart up for 5 $ .

Flip Flops Sandals fit all types of feet, are you going to wear them across the Arizona desert or Appalachian Mountains ?

TC-W3 oil isn't going to kill your air cooled engine but it's certainly not the best for the purpose. Owner manual for trimmer, snow blower and chainsaw say TC only...not TC-W3. There are way too many TC air cooled oils on the market for cheap, don't skimp, use one of them.

That being said...Pennzoil Multi-Purpose is one of the best and they have test that backup the "Multi-Purpose" rating against TC rated oils. They still make TC oil but some say that's old stock or the same oil as the Multi-Purpose.

Pennzoil Multi Purpose= "Good for water-cooled and air-cooled 2-cycle engines recommending NMMA TC-W3® products" does your manual say "NMMA TC-W3" rated oil ?

Last edited:
A better choice is to use a EGD or FD rated oil.

NMMA TC-W3 – two cycle water-cooled, third generation. TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII. Oils with this spec do not use metal based additives, and are ashless. This is an outboard specific spec.
API TC – only API spec established for two cycle engines. It regulates lubricity, detergency, ash content & pre-ignition. Oils with this spec are typically using metal based, ash producing additives. (Note: effective at the higher temperatures of air cooled engines)
JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.
ISO-L-EGB – same tests and requirements as JASO FB.
ISO-L-EGC – same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC.
ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Samf333
I have a quart of royal purple as well this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPZ824/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
is it appropriate for air cooled?

That's an ashless oil designed to work in everything, so the manufacturer claims.

I did not see that it meets any specifications, such as TCW-III, EGD or FD. So, It's likely it's not been tested to any of those specifications. They don't even make the claim that it can be used to replace oils that meet those specifications.

They do say that it's not for oil injection systems in Snomobiles used in cold climates below 20 degrees, due to pumpability issues. (means nothing to me)

I'm sure it's a fine oil, however, I'd be a bit hesitant to use an ashless 2t oil in high performance, high HP, air cooled applications. No worries with lawn equipment.

Why does Royal Purple market oil with no certifications or even references to them?
yeye, I know it's not -needed- to work in low tech stuff, but it's nice to know if it's like frying oil or like jaso FD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back