2015 Subaru WRX - 2.0 DIT boxer engine (FA20DIT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be hitting 5k miles in a couple months and will need to change the oil. 6k is the normal oil change interval (down from 7.5k - I wonder why they lowered it for the 2015?) This is my first Subaru and my first turbo car. Been researching a lot of about the PurePlus] Penzoil Ultra 5W30. Does anyone see any issue with this or have a better recommendation? I drive a lot of stop and go mostly city driving. Harsh NY winter and gets really hot in the summer. I plan to use the OEM oil filter. Thanks!

Here's some pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/cY7fM

Highly recommend a 30-weight synthetic to protect the turbo with no longer than 5,000 mile OCI due to fuel dilution from the Direct Injection system that isn't fully perfected, more fuel dilution from higher cylinder pressures due to turbocharging, and your "mostly city driving" that creates additional combustion byproducts in the oil.

Previous gen Subaru turbos were very , very hard on oil, and Subaru lowered the OCI TO 3750 miles... the recomended 5w30 would shear / dilute down to a 20 weight , and Subaru was losing some engines...!

You may want to double check the OCI for the WRX, SUBARU is rumoured to have lowered it down to the 3750 mile figure for all turbos.

And you may want to use a "thick" 5w30 like M1 5w30 ESP, or even M1 0w40 , or PU 5w40, both "thin" 40 grades.

Not all 5w30's are created equal, some are thinner, others are thicker. Many prev. gen. SUBARU turbo owners use a diesel 5w40 like Rotella T6 or M1 TDT with good results.

Especially if you drive hard, and who buys a WRX to baby it...!

This engine has nothing in common with the old engine.

no one really knows a whole lot about it yet.
I'd be conservative.

something like 5000mile oci with a good oil such as m1 0w40

would be my preference

a very similar engine is the 2.0 in the forester XT but the wrx has some differences.

Last edited:
Synthetic 5w-30 Oil required for all turbo engines.
Subaru brand oil is available and recommended

Note: starting with the 2015 model, all services and oil changes are based on 6,000 mile/6 months interval. This replaces the previous 7500 miles/7.5 month interval

New Car 1000 mile break-in period
keep RPMs under 4000, vary speeds, avoid hard starts/stops

Oil Service
requires Synthetic 5w-30 oil
1st oil/filter service- replace oil and filter by 6,000 miles or 6 months.
Subsequent oil services required at least every 6,000 miles or 6 months.

***************!!!!!

With hard, severe, short trip, cold weather driving replace oil and filter every 3mos/3000 miles

************** !!!!!

Last edited:
And...

These are the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS and are subject to change. Always consult your Subaru Warranty and Maintenance Booklet or Subaru Service Center for recommended service intervals for your area. It may be necessary to change your oil more frequently depending on driving conditions, weather, atmospheric conditions, vehicle usage and individual driving habits.

When vehicle is used under severe driving conditions, the engine oil and filter should be changed every 3,750 miles or 3 3/4 months, whichever comes first. Examples of severe driving conditions that affect oil change frequency include:
Repeated short distance driving
Driving in extremely cold weather

*** Because turbos run hotter, Manchester Subaru recommends turbo owners change their oil every 3,750 miles.

those are some fine copy pasts geeman789, the second one is the older recommendation. Since the OP has a 2015 wrx

his requirements are 5w30 syn, 6000mile oci, 3000mile oci for severe service.

if you are going to copy paste from other websites its always best to credit them.

Last edited:
To point out the obvious, half this site is copy and pasted to some extent. But thanks for the compliment...

Just pointing out some info. Subaru has gone back and forth on OCI's, and now considers all turbo applications as SEVERE use. As stated earlier by you, the new engine is just that, NEW. It is, however, still a high specific output, turbo engine, which are in general, hard on oil. It is also DI , which poses a new issue, that of fuel dilution. Following the severe service recommendations would be the lower risk option.

Just wanted to add that in the past Subaru used to suggest that after you park, you should let your car idle for 20-30 seconds before shutting it off. This keeps oil flowing to the turbo, without the turbo being put under much stress, and therefore helps to cool the turbo and make sure it's coated in oil. Check your owner's manual to see if they still recommend that.

Originally Posted By: rainking
Will be hitting 5k miles in a couple months and will need to change the oil. 6k is the normal oil change interval (down from 7.5k - I wonder why they lowered it for the 2015?)

Why do you care? If it was my car, I'd be changing the oil every two months.

Love that WRX (performance wise).

Stay with the severe is best IMHO. Subaru reverted to 3750 OCI on my wife's 05 Subaru Legacy GT(2.5L turbo) wagon and eventually synthetic too via letters.

I have a trouble free engine in terms of oil at 170k including good condition turbo and engine internals,

The downside of that is about 4-5+ oil changes per year.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Just wanted to add that in the past Subaru used to suggest that after you park, you should let your car idle for 20-30 seconds before shutting it off. This keeps oil flowing to the turbo, without the turbo being put under much stress, and therefore helps to cool the turbo and make sure it's coated in oil. Check your owner's manual to see if they still recommend that.

Sicko, I think you are remembering a different brand. The Subaru boxer engines use a coolant/antifreeze loop thru the turbo to provide cooling. Other manufacturers used to use the oil cooling method. I think that is what you are thinking of.

(turbo ej20 owner)

TMOF!

Oil cooler and 5.4 qts of oil. Any synthetic could easily go 5K, and really 7.5K shouldn't be pushing it too much. But it's a new engine, take it easy and post UOA's!

I'll be selling my 2014 hatch when Subaru comes out with an STi hatch version.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Wow did they change that motor over to a timing chain

YES!
Back in 2010, that was a huge reason I bought my Mitsubishi back in 2011. Mitsubishi put timing chains in their rally cars back in 2008/2009.

This is another reason why changing oil on the "Severe" schedule is wise. Many reports have suggested that DOHC timing chain stretch is worse when the engine gets oil changes on the "Regular" schedule, even if the car meets the criteria for the regular schedule.

I'm hanging on my Mitsubishi for as long as I can, but if someone crashed into me, and I got a good settlement, I would either get a Subaru or VW.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
TMOF!

Oil cooler and 5.4 qts of oil. Any synthetic could easily go 5K, and really 7.5K shouldn't be pushing it too much. But it's a new engine, take it easy and post UOA's!

I'll be selling my 2014 hatch when Subaru comes out with an STi hatch version.

I wouldn't be so sure, Pablo. Direct injected turbo engines are pretty new to Subaru. Is it possible they've gotten the formula right the first time? Yes, it's possible, but the early indications aren't good. The Forester turbo got this engine last year and lots of them are showing high fuel dilution. Similar problems to the 1st generation VW/Audi 2.0T DI engines.

This one shows 6% fuel at 2100 KM.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...eco#Post3365996

Others in this thread from subaruforester.org:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f207/fa20dit-oil-analysis-thread-264098/

2.8 at 4,230 miles
Trace at 3,000 miles
2.0 at 3,000 miles
1.3 at 1,760 miles
And 8.6 at 4,950 km's

(Courtesy of bluesubie)

To the OP:
If you're willing to risk a slight deviation from the recommendations in the manual you might try a VW/Audi 504/507 oil. They're a heavy duty European 5w30 with HTHS >3.5. Should stand up to fuel dilution a bit better than most ILSAC oils. VW/Audi folks have noted less intake valve deposits with them as well. I'm giving M1 ESP Formula 5w30 a try in my WRX and it seems to be working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back