Best First Motorcycle: How Much Is Too Much Bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the MSF course soon and hopefully earning my MC license. I have no experience with riding other than on a bicycle. So that leads me to my question: how much bike is too much bike for a new rider?

I've narrowed down to two bikes I really like:

CBR250R ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr250r.aspx

CB500F ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb500f.aspx

The 250 is less expensive and lighter, but has very limited power and can struggle on the highway. The 500 is somewhat more expensive and much more heavy, but has the power needed for highway use, and is geared toward torque, not crazy acceleration.

I would hate to buy the 250 and then realize it's not enough bike for longer term ownership. And I really love the 500F styling. On the other hand, I worry the 500 is too much bike too soon for someone so green. But I have read that the 500 is still considered a starter bike even though it's well over the 250 mark.

So, what should a newbie pursue... the 250R or 500F?

I know its not on the list, but the Kawasaki 300 Ninja would give you the benefit of a 250 in weight, but with added power. They are much quicker than the Honda 250.

If you must go Honda and plan to keep the bike for some time, you may want to go with the Honda 500. See how comfy you are on your MSF course bike first though. I rode a 250cc Yamaha for 3 years before going up to my current 865cc Triumph

I'd like to stick with an ABS bike through Honda if possible. Honda's website indicates they are releasing a CBR300R ABS this summer. Might that bike be a better fit than a 250R or 500F?

Go with the 500. I started out on a Suzuki GS500F and can manage fine on the interstate (up to 85mph cruising).

I did my MSF last fall and can get at least a year out of this 500 but I've tasted the nectar of the literbike and want to upgrade next year.

The 250 is good for in town, but will be buzzy on the highway.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I am taking the MSF course soon and hopefully earning my MC license. I have no experience with riding other than on a bicycle. So that leads me to my question: how much bike is too much bike for a new rider?

I've narrowed down to two bikes I really like:

CBR250R ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr250r.aspx

CB500F ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb500f.aspx

The 250 is less expensive and lighter, but has very limited power and can struggle on the highway. The 500 is somewhat more expensive and much more heavy, but has the power needed for highway use, and is geared toward torque, not crazy acceleration.

I would hate to buy the 250 and then realize it's not enough bike for longer term ownership. And I really love the 500F styling. On the other hand, I worry the 500 is too much bike too soon for someone so green. But I have read that the 500 is still considered a starter bike even though it's well over the 250 mark.

So, what should a newbie pursue... the 250R or 500F?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
About 6' tall and around 210#.

Then I'd look for something in the 750CC class.

Even a 500CC will grow old on you in a year or so.

Street bike,600 or bigger. Dirt bike,250 or bigger. I had a Honda CR500 (2 stroke dirt bike) and for me it was just right :^)

Go to cycle ergo.com and see how these bikes fit your body. I took the MSF course on a Suzuki TW250 and the bike didn't fit me at all. (Instructor comment "No offense, but you look like a gorilla on a tricycle"). I am the same size you are.

Pick the bike that fits you best. You won't ride an uncomfortable bike very long.

Last edited:
I'm 5'10" 180#. My first bike was a BMW R1100S.

I rode a Ninja 250 at the MSF course in 2009. They're fun around town. If you'll even consider getting on a highway, 600cc is the minimum. Anything less will get old in a hurry.

My advice: don't buy a new bike as your first bike. There's a high chance you'll drop it and it'll hurt more to do it to a new bike than to a used one.

Also, most people don't stick to their first bike for long. They end up outgrowing it in one way or another. So why take that huge depreciation hit?

Buy something inexpensive, less powerful and light to gain confidence on, and then sell it in a year or so and lose very little money in the process. During that time, you'll figure out what it is that you really want and will be in a better position to buy the "right" bike.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My advice: don't buy a new bike as your first bike. There's a high chance you'll drop it and it'll hurt more to do it to a new bike than to a used one.

Also, most people don't stick to their first bike for long. They end up outgrowing it in one way or another. So why take that huge depreciation hit?

Buy something inexpensive, less powerful and light to gain confidence on, and then sell it in a year or so and lose very little money in the process. During that time, you'll figure out what it is that you really want and will be in a better position to buy the "right" bike.

I second that. Get a Honda rebel or a Suzuki GZ.
Like quattro Pete stated, you are likely to forget to put the kick stand down or tap the brake while turning sharply. A bike with a few scratches and dents that you can buy cheap, learn to ride and then sell when you have experience. I would hate to see you drop a nice new shiny bike and have to live with it for years. A GZ could be had for 900-1500 bucks. I paid 900 for mine.

500. of course, it would help to know what type of riding you will be doing: in town, highway? commuting, trips? I commute with a 500 and/or an 800. 60 miles a day.

I would suggest starting on a dirt bike. Do some off road riding and really get to understand how to handle a motorcycle.

I started on dirt bikes when I was 7 years old. I'm now 50. I've owned 49 motorcycles! Very few crashes. People were always amazed that I was the one who never crashed when in a tough situation. It was due to my dirt bike roots.

However, I will freely admit the following: My skills are deteriorating. It's partially due to age, some health and strength issues, lack of rapid reflexes now and probably a bit of the inner ear wobblies. I'm still fast on my KTM 380EXC, I'm as smooth as ever. But I don't have the mastery over a motorcycle that I used to have. In the past, I'd ride a wheelie on anything, anytime. It came naturally, 50cc or 1300cc, it mattered not. Today, I'm not so good as to be able to hop on something and be it's master.

If you are going to get a street bike as your first bike, go with something that fits you well, is not too heavy and handles very well.

I completely agree with others here that a used bike is a better way to go, at least for a few seasons. My first bike was a KZ650 and, in retrospect, I think it was a bit too much (but it handled GREAT). Sold it for a CB360 a few years on. 34 horse twin, 6500 rpm at 70 mph and I could do interstate all day long on it - never needed any more. Then again, I rarely if ever rode two-up. 5'8", 150 lbs.

Honda Rebel 450...

Only made for two years, and that was twenty five years ago...

Scarce as hens teeth, make sure the starter works....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You're so logical and so right.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back