Engine bay detailing using WD-40 (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted about your car in this thread, but no reply from JHZR2.
21.gif

What a great job! I do agree with others who recommended CD-2 or other similar purpose built cleaner protector. It would have taken *LOT* less time but I believe those results would not have been as good as what you got.

I used garden hose *once* to clean my van engine and then idle went nuts. fortunately, it recovered on its own. That was the end of any further engine cleanings as far as I am concerned.

WD40 is kerosene for the most part I understand. And it is recommended by many motorcycle drive chain manufacturers to be the safest thing to use with O-rings in their chains.I have never had it attack anything rubber or syn rubber. I do not like the smell tho. I would degrease after a big overall job like an engine bay, if were me. The WD should stay in the tinny spaces, but it will attack dust I fear to the remaining film. Then spray 303 on everything plastic/rubber, but belts.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also I do not know anyone who would remove a wiper motor or MAP sensor assemble to get their engine clean. Wrap in plastic maybe, but not remove.

Some people remove everything inside the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
You really did a marvelous job.....how many days did that take?

20 Hours

Holy Cow, 20 hours ! The most I spent on cleaning engine was around 25-30 minutes, from spraying some type of engine cleaners then hose it off with garden hose. The engine wasn't shinny but all grimes and dust was gone after rinsed with garden hose.

Well, I had to remove parts inside the engine bay plus the oil & dirt was caked on !! It took alot of time !
I also had to order new parts and replace a few things as well.

Originally Posted By: IGotYourBack
I have wiped stuff down with WD-40 countless times and wipe down our Tractors with the stuff. Attracts dust like nobody's business and is harmful to certain lacquers and enamels.

If you consistently use it, yes, it can be harmful, but this was a 1 time cleaning job !

Originally Posted By: robcrx
If you consistently use it, yes, it can be harmful, but this was a 1 time cleaning job !

Really? What will it do? I`ve used this technique once before and had thought about doing it again,but not if it can mess something up.

Could have saved alot of time and money just by taking it down to the Car Wash and cleaning the loose stuff off first instead of the WD-40 bath. Looks Great tho...Good Job!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: robcrx

Really? What will it do? I`ve used this technique once before and had thought about doing it again,but not if it can mess something up.

WD-40 is a mix of mineral oil and stoddard solvent with a small percentage of DMSO. The combination of the unrefined stoddard solvent, ie mineral spirits and the very active DMSO solvent tend to penetrate and loosen many organic coatings like enamels and lacquers.

An occasional spray down won't harm anything but consistent soaking without removal will eventually soften the coatings and they can rub off.

In fact WD-40 is so good at penetrating various polymers that it's actually quite useful at temporarily softening rubber tires on some of the remote control cars I race.

Holy sh!t, what a transformation! I have to admit I read the title and thought, "Heh this oughtta be good..." Serious job with a seriously good result I wouldn't have expected. Now that you've got it clean you may want to switch to a product like Adam's In & Out spray which is a safer polymer coating or use nothing but wash water and just keep it looking like that. Great work.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams-In-Out-Spray_p_91.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back