want to get at least 200 K from my engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use one of the 3 brands of conventional oils out there, and stay with it , how ever I do not know the specs or stats on these oils , can anyone tell me which may be the best of choice to stick with to get at least 200 K miles from my engines with a faithfully oil and filter change at 3000 miles. the examples of oil are Mobile 5000 conventional. Castrol conventional, or Valvoline conventional and I use only 10 X 30 weight that's recommended for my car and truck.

My 1994 LS400 with more than 360k miles had various name brands dino and syn, the engine has no problem at all with 7-8k/6mo OCI with dino and 13-15k/12mo with syn.

With Honda engines you can use any name brand conventional oil and do 6-7k/6mo OCI without problem.

Any name brand dino with regular maintenance should get you 200K out of an engine.
If it doesn't, the engine probably wasn't up to the rigor of the task anyway.
Avoid "specialty" brands such as City Star and Bullseye.

What oil should
I use?

You missed this thread. So much information we don't have. 3,000 miles is too short for most applications but we won't know without that information.

Also you forgot the best conventional on the market, Pennzoil conventional aka Pennzoil yellow bottle aka PYB.

For the average driver.

1) M1 of your spec.

2) 10K OCI.

With this combo you will get Wayyy more than 200K all the while keeping your engines very clean.

Any API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM/SN with any oil filter will get any engine past 200K on 3K drains.
Many of us have been there and done that since the early 'eighties.
Use whatever you like.
Unless all of your driving is confined to short trips, you'd get the same results on 5-6K drains with any API SL/SM/SN and proably some of the earlier specs as well.

Heh heh,Any oil in the grade recommended by the owner's manual that you can buy at an auto parts or dept. store will do the job. OCIs vary due to the oil and the driving you do. That's the bottom line. Oils are better than ever because the specs are so high. Engines are built to close tolerances so robots can assemble them. The rest is just a matter of preventative maintenance. I bought my first 528e back in '96 It had 150 K miles on it. I put another 200K on the car. The body rusted away. I retired it in '08 The engine transmission and rear end were in fine shape.I just changed the fluids and timing belts . No major work was ever needed In those 12 yrs, the car never stranded me. This is more about the level of maintenance than the make of the car. Keeping the car going became a hobby. I paid 6K $ for it . About what a 5yr old Taurus would have cost back then.

Last edited:
These days you have to worry more about automatic transmissions and cvts dying before the engines. If you get a manual transmission then you worry about rust and suspension parts nickel and dimeing you to death.

Routine maintenance is the key to longevity. There is much more to creating a positive environment for engine durability than just changing the oil.

Pick the oil of your choice that meets your manufacturer's requirements. I personally suggest using OEM oil filters also.

Pay close attention to your air filter and use OEM in this application too. Change the air filter at least as frequently as recommended in the manual.

Be gentle on the engine when it is cold. Don't start the car on a sub-zero morning and then go out and floor the poor thing while rushing into traffic. Don't sit and idle to warm things up but be gentle until things are up to operating temperature. Long trips are naturally better than short trips.

Two-hundred thousand miles is no problem to achieve with modern engines. Just keep an eye on things, fix problems when they arise and don't ride around for months with a check engine light illuminated. Be proactive with maintenance.

What the others say.

200K is about sixteen years at the average annual mileage of 12.3K The fleet average car age for the country is 11 years.

The question isn't whether you can keep your car running 11-15 years, the question is will it still be a car you want to drive?

Keep up the appearance of the car. Instead of ridiculous oil change intervals, follow the manual. Maybe make a point of changing the fluids that might never get changed in that 11 year period of time. I'd say it makes more sense to change the differential oil at 40K intervals (instead of 150K manual interval) than it does to change oil at 3K instead of 6K.

I've used tons of different oils in my Integra and it made it to over 200k. I don't honestly think the brand matters that much. I just try to change it before 5,000 miles and call it good.

At 3000 mile drains you can use the cheapest sm spec conventional out there. You aren't even close to compromising the oil yet at those miles so your basically changing out good oil and putting in good oil,so deposits might be controlled better based on the oil never becoming contaminated enough to overwhelm the ad pack. Just a guess though.
Doesn't wear decrease at the back end of an oci;so the more miles driven the wear per mile figures decrease,until the tbn is exhausted or the oil gets too thick from oxydation)

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've used tons of different oils in my Integra and it made it to over 200k. I don't honestly think the brand matters that much. I just try to change it before 5,000 miles and call it good.

Well said!

IF I had to choose one conventional oil to stick with for 200K, it'd be PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle).

Most people trade their cars off before that point, in the past how long do you keep vehicles?

Statistically if the car is brand new your going to keep it 6 years.

Originally Posted By: rhondas
I want to use one of the 3 brands of conventional oils out there, and stay with it , how ever I do not know the specs or stats on these oils , can anyone tell me which may be the best of choice to stick with to get at least 200 K miles from my engines with a faithfully oil and filter change at 3000 miles. the examples of oil are Mobile 5000 conventional. Castrol conventional, or Valvoline conventional and I use only 10 X 30 weight that's recommended for my car and truck.

I prefer Valvoline, but all will get you to 200k in a modern vehicle.

You could probably even go up to 5000 miles without worry, unless your driving is all city.

Any GF-5/SN oil on Earth will get you to 200K miles...If you want a chance at 1M miles, go with Mobil 5000 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back